lemon bars are a particularly favorite dessert- especially since they make me think of my good friend Kenzie and our college years. sigh. Anyway, I was hankering for something with a little zing, so I decided to try these Lemon-Lime cupcakes from Everyday Food.
Not a great decision actually. These were an epic FAIL.
1. They didn't stick together at all- They had the consistency of cornbread- loose cornbread at that. It could have been because I don't have a mini-muffin pan and just used my regular sized one (indecently from Kenzie and her family). I don't know.
2. Whoa, people- these suckers had some bite. They were SOUR. After eating one or two (okay- maybe 3 or 4- I really do love sours) I felt like the enamel on my teeth had been eaten away a bit. It was not a good feeling.
3. Instead of adding the topping Everyday Food suggested, I made a frosting from powdered sugar and fresh lime juice. Which was very good- but probably added to the extra enamel eating power of the dessert. So yeah- probably don't make that kind of frosting (if you are even brave enough to try these anyway!).
Here is the recipe, just for kicks.
Lemon-Lime Tea Cakes
from Everyday Food
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest, plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a muffin pan.
2. Beat butter, 2/3 cup sugar, and lemon and lime zests on medium speed until light and creamy (not fluffy).
3. Add lemon and lime juices along with eggs and beat to combine, scraping down bowl.
4. With mixer on low, gradually add flour and salt and beat until blended.
5. Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake until cakes are golden around edges and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
6. Frost with tangy frosting of your choice.
Warhead image from here
Cupcake image from here