Enter- new game plan. A good opportunity to practice being flexible. (Which I am not. I dislike change.)
Instead of making a meal, I had to pull a meal out of the freezer and wait to make a new menu plan with this week's flyer. I might be able to keep the old menu acutally, some of the same stuff appears to be on sale. I think. It has been a crazy two days.
Anyway, the meal I took out of the freezer was Lucy Marie's Famous Chili. SnoWhite has raved about it. And now I must concur- this is amazing chili. And I don't even like chili!
One thing I did differently was add shredded carrots instead of diced carrots. I had 2 cups of frozen shredded carrots that were begging to be used in something besides Carrot Cake. The carrots give the chili a mild sweetness throughout. mmm, consistently sweet. and a little bit spicy. Yum.
adapted from Lucy Marie
- 1/2 lb ground meat (I used turkey)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped (Or 2 Cups shredded!)
- 1 C frozen green beans
- 2 cans beans (any combo - I used black and pinto)
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 heaping tbsp chili powder
- Dash salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
1. Brown meat with onion and garlic in a large stockpot until meat is no longer pink. Drain, if necessary.
2. Add veggies and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, ketchup, brown sugar and spices.
4. Simmer on medium-low for as long as you like. Lucy usually make this in the morning and lets it simmer all day. I let is simmer for a couple of hours. It is really good.