Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Salad with Sweet Potatoes and Feta

My first meal with the menu plan was a bust.  Total fail. 

I knew this was going to be a different meal, I could not imagine what it would taste like, but thought I would give it a try (it did have feta after all).

But I don't know if I would recomend this salad to my worst enemy.  It was nasty. 

But if you like mush and tang and vinegar all wrapped up in each bite- go for it.  We however, will never make this again.

The vinaigrette was way to vinegar-y for my taste, and when paired with the sweet potatoes, it was actually gag inducing.  But I have some issues with texture . . .

(However- the potatoes by themselves were delicious.) 

If you are brave enough to try this, or just want the recipe to know to stay away, here it is:


Salad with Sweet Potatoes and Feta
Everyday Food November 2009

Ingredients:

  • 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest (I used extra juice)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
  • Salad
  • 1/3 cup crumbled feta
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil; season with coarse salt and ground pepper if desired. Roast until tender and browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons oil, grated orange zest, orange juice, and white-wine vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Add sweet potatoes, salad, and feta. Toss to combine and serve immediately.
Note: This was originally a side salad, but with the starch and fiber from the potato and the protein from the cheese, I served it as a main dish. 


Image from here

4 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

Well thanks for the warning! I will not make this. Sorry to hear it was a bust but don't give up on menu planning!

SnoWhite said...

I'm sorry this one didn't turn out -- but, I'm glad you were able to eat the sweet potatoes ;)

Meghan said...

Too funny! Thanks for sharing the fail. Sometimes it's just as helpful to know what doesn't work as what does work.

Kristi said...

Thanks for your honesty about the salad. I was thinking of trying it since we have a large tub of Feta. I guess I will pass. Better luck next time!