Monday, February 15, 2010

Menu Plan Monday

Hello Friends.  I have a confession:  I suck at menu planning.  I have tried a few times but I always deviate (Majorly- one time I didn't make anything I had planned to- anything.) It is like there is this rebellious part of me that resists making the planned meals just because I had planned to make them.

But now we have moved away out into the farm land and there are fewer grocery options.  So I have been trying to plan my trips out better, so I don't waste gas and resources.

And thus, I have begun to menu plan, again.

I have had one successful menu plan- for the last two weeks I picked out six meals and I have just finished them all.  (We ate out a few times and had to deviate from the plan for some vegan dinner guests, and we ate at his parents' house once or twice.)  But regardless, I planned six meals, and we ate all six meals.  Now I feel confident I can try again.  Hopefully, telling with world will keep me even more accountable.   

Additionally, with my first success, I think I finally figured out the benefit to the menu plan.  I look at the ads, I look through some food magazines, I find what I can make with what is on sale, I buy that stuff.  And then I am done.  I have everything needed to make five meals and no excuses.  And no temptations (Target) 4 minutes away . . .

I am still too rebellious to place food on certain days, so I have just planed out five meals and will pick and choose from those on each day.

So here is my Menu Plan for the week (or maybe two):
  • Salad with Sweet Potatoes and Feta
  • Red Beans with Sausage
  •     Side: Buttermilk Cornbread
  • Tomato and Shrimp Pasta with Feta
  • Creamy Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli
  • Homemade Pizza
 All the above recipes can be found in Everyday Food (Nov. 2009)

Can you tell what was on sale this week?  If you guessed sausage and feta- you would be correct!

Check out more menu plans here.

(P.S. I would like to thank the Presidents for this wonderful day off.)

6 comments:

Kayla said...

Don't worry... I am awful at menu planning as well! And I am also so jealous that you get today off! :-(

SnoWhite said...

yea! I'm excited that you're meal planning ;)

and, that sweet potato feta salad sounds amazing!

Mandy said...

Thanks for deviating from your menu plan for me! :)

Lucy Marie said...

You go girl. I hope the planning goes well for you. I used to be super duper organized with it, but I have been going downhill lately!

tattytiara said...

"It is like there is this rebellious part of me that resists making the planned meals just because I had planned to make them."

I know! I suspect the exact same thing of myself. What the heck is with that, anyway?

Kristin said...

I am terrible at menu planning. I always say I'm going to do it and then go to the grocery store with no plan and usually hungry. So bad!