Thursday, February 25, 2010

House Tour: Kid Room

When my parents came for Thanksgiving in addition to the table, they brought our childhood bunk beds from the summer cabin.  Now that their children are grown, they are going to put a real bed in that room at the cabin.  And we were happy to take the bed off their hands.  Not that we are hiding any kids from you- or even planning on having kids right now, but as the new "hand-me-down-kids" I will take another bed without much persuasion.  It might come in handy someday . . .

For fun- here is the downstairs bedroom the way the previous owners had it:

Here is the bunk bed all set up:

I have to show you two details that make this bed extra special for me.  First: my sister and I grew up spending summers on this bed.  We played hard on this bed: we did gymnastics on the bars and jumped so often on the bottom bunk it warped.  We went fishing for each other, built forts and even made Barbie go bungee jumping to her death.  Repeatedly.

Second: I spend most of my time on the bottom bunk, and placed this hemp like bracelet on the never-used ladder in my preteens.  I don't know, but it reminds me of those awkward years and makes me smile. 

I am glad that we accepted the bunk bed because it has already gotten used!  We had two people spend the night- one in the guest room and one in the bunks. Sweet.

4 comments:

My name is PJ. said...

My sister and I had bunkbeds when we were little and I adored them.

My children had bunkbeds when they were little too.

Just imagine having your kids or nieces, nephews, etc. sleep in your bunks in your house....It will be so cool.

SnoWhite said...

oh fun! my sister and I used to enjoy bunkbeds too!

Lucy Marie said...

Very glad to know my unborn child has a place to sleep at his/her Auntie taryn's house :)

Shaina said...

LOVE the old school bunkbeds!!!