Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Curry Chicken and Chickpeas

Fact: Our house is bigger than our apartment.  It makes me lazy.

I made this curry last week- but the night I made it the camera was not in plain view, so I though "I'll take a picture of the left-overs." However, we ate the last of the leftovers last night and guess what I didn't do?  If you guessed take a picture- you win!

I am still working on this whole having-to-take-more-than-3-steps-to-get-anywhere situation.  Sorry friends.

I did find a picture online. If I was a good photographer, our curry looked similar to this:

image from Daley Food

Although, I served it over brown rice and added some shredded chicken for my meat loving husband.  With the addition of the meat, Chris thought that this dish was a do-over dish.  That is saying something because Chris (and I) both tend to stick to standard American and Italian fare.  Big step taking on this  . . . dun dun dun . . .CURRY!

Ha- sorry, I guess it is too early in the morning for a blog post.  Here is the recipe.

Chicken and Chickpeas with Curry
adapted from Everyday Food

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced small
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder 
  • 1 cinnamon stick, 3 inches 
  • 1 pinch of ground cloves
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 3 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 pinch course salt
  • 2 cups water (I used broth)
  • 2 cups cooked rice
  • 1 handful shredded chicken
  • chopped cilantro and lemon wedges (optional), for serving
Directions
  1. In a large straight-sided skillet, heat oil over medium high. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until dark brown around edges, about 6 minutes.
  2. Add garlic, curry, cinnamon, and pinch of cloves and cook, stirring until fragrant, 30 seconds.
  3. Add chickpeas, ketchup, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 2 cups of water.
  4. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
  5. Uncover and increase heat to medium high; cook until sauce is slightly reduced, 5 minutes.
  6. Serve on rice, topped with cilantro, with lemon wedges along side if desired.

3 comments:

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

Yum that sounds great! My husband is totally against my trying to eat vegetarian so I'm sure he'd love this ;)

Lucy Marie said...

I love curry! I will have to try this because I am looking for a way to use up some chick peas in the freezer.

My name is PJ. said...

Curry is so good for you, but there are different types and I don't like the real, real spicy ones unless I have something to put the fire out with.