Thursday, January 21, 2010

Trouble in the Bedroom

Our problem:  Our bedroom is too big.

This might not seem like a problem at first, but when you get down to decorating and living in it- our bedroom is just too big.

I will show you what I am talking about and then we will see if you all can be as helpful with my bedroom problem as you were with my table.
This is what the bedroom looked like previously:


And now it looks like this:


See the Ikea rug?  And the cute doggie?  And the awesome drapes from my mother?  Oh, be sure to go back and look at the curtains again (sorry for the sun- the blinds were drawn- stupid Colorado desert sun). 

After seeing all the empty curtain rods in the Realtor pictures (as seen above) when my parents came for Thanksgiving my mother packed in a huge bag of all her extra curtains.  I guess Mom has a phobia of empty curtain rods.  I believe the tan ones in our room are from a comforter set my parents' bought but had no use for.  My grandmother made the white sheer ones long, long ago.  How cool is that?

Don't they look like they were made for the room?  I love how they puddle on the floor.  It is so romantic.  Thanks mom. 

Anyway, back on track.  Just for kicks, here is the view from our window.  A peek-a-boo view of the mountains.


Here is our closet.  Long and skinny.  A problem for another day.


And here is the weird space.


The little indent when the mirror and boxes of frames and decorations are being stored is only like 2' deep.  And see the edge of the double doors our bedroom on the right?  When you open them up, second door squishes into the weird space.

I have toyed around with putting a desk in there for scrapping- but that is messy (rather- I am messy).  Or having a fainting couch- but those are expensive and I don't usually wear corsets.  In addition- I subscribe to the idea that bedrooms have one purpose and one purpose only- sleeping (we'll just leave it at that- keep it G-rated).  So I don't really want to add another activity (fainting or scrapping) to the area. Maybe napping? You got any better ideas?

17 comments:

My name is PJ. said...

You can get door stops that prevent the door from opening wide into the wall.

I'm thinking a reading chair and a small table for a beverage. Then you can take turns reading sonnets to one another......

Callista said...

you could get one of those cute asian folding dividers and pseudo-split the room into 2. the other half can be a reading/dressing boudoir area :) that would be really romantic and could be fun ;) also if you do that you can divide the room with 2 different paint colors.

Della said...

Haha, I was also thinking "A make-up table? A dressing table? A vanity?" Knowing me, I would put a huge picture or mirror up and recover chairs to go with it. :)

Emily said...

I like sitting areas in bedrooms, but if your space isn't big enough, what about an inexpensive console table, a lamp and use it as a place to keep your jewelry or something? I think that once you find something for the wall (maybe something sea turtle themed?) it will feel more purposeful to you.

Shaina said...

I think you should turn it into a little reading nook! A couple of comfy armchairs, a small bookshelf, and a little table in between for your hot chocolate. :)

Kayla said...

What about a little comfy chair for reading? That way it won't be cluttered, but you could put a cute chair, small end table and a little lamp. It would look super cute!

Brittany Ann said...

What about a reading corner? A chair and shelf of books? With a lamp? For a sleep less night? I've always wanted a reading nook in my bedroom, actually!

Kelsey said...

I love the post title! I think that reading is a perfectly wonderful bedroom activity and it's peaceful and not cluttery, so I would turn the space into a reading nook. I would put a cozy chair with an ottoman in the left corner, angled toward the center of the room. Then I would put a low bookshelf next to it. (I don't think it would interfere with your door.) Add a little lamp on the shelf and some cute decorative items along with your books and it could be soooo cute and cozy. I would do the Expedit bookshelf in white from Ikea. :) Have fun!

The Nishis said...

What about bookshelves or a couple of plants?

Mandy said...

I like the bookshelf and reading chair idea. :)

Lucy Marie said...

1. When I saw the title of this post, I was concerned. I thought this was a family friendly blog ;)

2. Reading nook, reading nook!

Meredith said...

What about narrow bookshelves?

SnoWhite said...

I'm all about a reading corner... is it big enough for a papasan chair?

kristen and thomas said...

apparently, people think you should read... If you like reading, turn it into a reading area, but if you're not so much an avid reader, you'll need to think of something else. Do you like to be crafty?? Turn it into a craft corner.. You could turn it into your recipe corner- all those yummy recipes you need to store somewhere :)

Kristen said...

what about one of those couch/chair things that people put in their rooms for reading? Something like that with a lamp.... sounds romantic!

Kristi said...

I have always wanted a sitting area in our master. And since I am a coffee drinker, I would put in a nice coffee maker and a little table. That way I could have my coffee, read, surf the internet or whatever I wanted to as soon as I got up in the morning.

*claire* said...

i love that rug! and the view!!

i'm sure others have suggested this already - but what about two chairs and a little side table - reading nook type thing?