Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The one where Taryn got a great deal on a Mirror . . .

Now the entry.


The previous owners had some lovely sea turtles in the entry, but I want something bigger.  Something with presence.  I was hoping to fill the entry with a large mirror and a bench or table.  But that was until I started to look at how much mirrors cost.  I didn't know that mirrors are wicked expensive for some glass and wood. Did you?

However, I am not willing to pay and arm and a leg for a mirror, so every time I went to Salvation Army or the Habitat for Humanity ReStore I would look for mirrors.  However, they usually only had dresser mirrors- you know, the ones with a flat base (with supports) and whacko stuff going on up top?  That is, until one time I found this sucker.

Yes that is 46" by 58" of pure awesomeness (approx. 3.8' by 4.8').  We had to get the truck from his parents- and it didn't even lay flat in the bed. Yeah.

And the best part- it was only $40.  Yes, $40.  Salvation Army was having a 50% off sale of the entire store.  Sweet. 

I have yet to find the correct table or bench yet, so it is not hung.  Plus, this sucker is not going to just hang in the drywall- it needs studs and reinforcements, so I only want to hang it once.  But I love it.

10 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

What was with these people and sea turtles? Honestly. Are there even more turtles you haven't shown us yet?

Great deal on the mirror!

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

So sad to see the turtles go. Maybe you could repaint them around the mirror? You could even add in some dolphins to really spice it up :)

My name is PJ. said...

Weren't there turtles in the faux stained glass window too? Different strokes, right?

Man, did you SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That mirror is a treasure!!!!!!!!!

Hi, Lane said...

I love the natural wood frame!

Kayla said...

Wow, what a great steal! Personally I like the turtles..... haha just kidding! I can't wait to see it come together!

SnoWhite said...

very nice!

I can't believe all those sea turtles... they really liked them, didn't they?

Adie said...

Great mirror! I am always confused about the price tags on those things too.

stillarunner said...

You weren't kidding about the sea turtles!
What a great find. I love decorating with mirrors - they do so much for opening up a space!

Rebecca Lynn said...

Awesome deal! I LOVE great second hand finds. Too bad we live states apart. We could be great thrift shop buddies.

Rae said...

Perfect! And all the better that it was both pre-used and the money going to a good cause.