Monday, January 25, 2010

Homemade Shell



Are you a fan of this stuff?  I had never had it until last year, when a friend suggested we buy some for sundaes.  Ever since, I was hooked.

And being the kook that I am, I decided to try to make some.  Yum.

There are two types of recipes floating around out there for Shell- but both are ridiculously simple- melt chocolate with either butter or coconut oil.

I chose to make mine with coconut oil, so I could keep it in the pantry without the risk of spoiling.

I used some pretty dark chocolate (like 75%) and melted it with coconut oil.  In the end, my Shell worked, it hardened on the ice cream and was chocolaty- but it wasn't quite as good as real Shell.  I think I need to use sweeter chocolate next time.  I would recommend a mix of semisweet and milk or something.  And you can add different stuff to make different flavors- like peppermint and orange.  (Check here for more ideas and fancier names.)

Homemade Shell
recipe loosely adapted from here

Ingredients
  • 1 part coconut oil
  • 1-2 parts chocolate
  • optional: pinch or salt
Directions

1. Melt chocolate and oil together in microwave or on stove.
2. Pour onto ice cream or into another container for later use.

Enjoy.  I do love Shell. 

image from amazon.com

4 comments:

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

How fun! I love shell and wouldn't have ever thought that you could make it! I'm going to try this soon!

Meredith said...

It's only 9:30am, but you have me seriously wanting a sundae!

My name is PJ. said...

Yet another reason why you're a genius! Your own recipe for shell!!!!!

Jenny said...

My granddaughters love this stuff...and my kids did too. I never knew you could make this stuff.