Sunday, December 6, 2009

First Things First- The Turtle

When we first saw our house, it was evident that the owners loved sea turtles.  Turtles were in the entry, the bathroom and even the living room.  The crown jewel of the turtles was this- what seemed to be a painted faux stained glass sea turtle.



Splendid, right?

But since I did not plan on having sea turtles be one of the major decorating motifs in our home, the turtle needed to go.

After much consideration, it looked as though we were going to need to buy some sort of paint thinner and apply it to the window to get the turtle off.  But my mother, the genius, discovered that it was actually a huge sticker.  With the help of a razor she was able to rip it off.  And wow- just so you know- that stuff smelled wicked.  Thanks mom!



With the sticker gone, I just needed to clean off the vinyl residue.  This has proven to be fairly difficult, and I still have not gotten it all off.  But good enough for baby Jesus.  = )



Now we just have to deal with the new problem of looking right out at the neighbor's deck . . . any suggestions?  Maybe I need to get a sticker made of Chris and I . . .  Or maybe PeeWee . . .

14 comments:

Emily said...

Just catching up, congrats on the pup AND on getting rid of the sea-turtle. I can't believe the previous owners didn't want to take that with them for their next window. That window over the fireplace gives so much more light without the turtle blocking it, nice work!

Brittany Ann said...

Whoa. That is one serious turtle sticker. Interesting design choice.

That being said, I like yours much better:)

Meredith said...

It's too bad you couldn't find a different glass decal that you actually liked! I bet the issue of the neighbor's porch being visible was the reason they put up the decal in the first place!

SnoWhite said...

what a nice place for your nativity!! We have the same one -- I love it.

Emily said...

Hmm.. not a fan of the sea turtles either so it would have to go as well for me.

Love the nativity scene.

Meghan said...

I say either just look at the neighbors (it might be good blog fodder) and enjoy the light, or plain frosted glass. Normally, I would say sheers, but I don't know how that would work about a fireplace.

Meghan said...

I meant above a fireplace, not "about".

My name is PJ. said...

I have the very same nativity....which I did not set up this year because I'm not feeling overly festive.

The sea turtle would have been the first thing on my list to go as well.

I'm so excited for you guys! You're at 'the possibilities are endless' time in new home ownership. And you're smart. You know it has to be done over time; some of it may wait years. That's okay because, even if you went through and had it all done the way you want it, in a couple of years you'd start tweaking again. It's neverending, but that's part of what makes it so much fun.

Adie said...

Congrats on the move! We have a window in our bathroom that is huge and on the front of our house. My husband HATES having window treatments in the bathroom so I bought a spray can of window frosting - not the fake snow stuff. Actual window frosting. I did pretty good on the half I did but Chris did not do so awesome on his part. So if you are a steady spray painter do that if not they have the stickers that are frosted.

Lucy Marie said...

What do you mean you don't want sea turtles to be the major decorating scheme in your house? ARE YOU CRAZY?

Lucy Marie said...

What do you mean you don't want sea turtles to be the major decorating scheme in your house? ARE YOU CRAZY?

Rae said...

I don't have any suggestions, but I think that the deck is a far better view than the turtle! Good call.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat system[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you haven’t heard of it before. Blackhat marketing uses little-known or misunderstood ways to build an income online.