Friday, November 13, 2009

Roasted Red Pepper and Potato Soup

After reading about Lucy's Red Pepper soup and then SnoWhite's Red Pepper soup- I knew I needed to try my own.

So when red peppers were 55 cents apiece last week (wow!) I decided to give it a try. 

Unfortunately-I do not have any decent pictures of the soup.  I just have this picture of the roasted peppers.  Yumm.



You will just have to use your imagination on this one- ok?

Homemade Roasted Red Pepper and Potato Soup
adapted from Lucy and SnoWhite

Ingredients
  • 3-4 large red bell peppers, roasted and diced
  • 4 large potatoes, diced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 3-5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 C chicken broth
  • 1 C half and half
  • 1 tsp dried oregano*
  • 1/4 tsp dry thyme*
*I read recently that when using dried spices that are over 6 months old (ours are from our wedding . . . ) to at least double what the recipe calls for.  Good to know.  However- I just shake a bunch in the pot and call it good.

Directions

1. Roast peppers like Lucy does here.
2. Cook garlic and onion in oil until softened.
3. Then add potatoes, peppers and broth and bring to a boil.
4. Add seasonings and simmer until most of the broth has been absorbed.
5. Blend soup in a blender.  (I made the soup ahead, let it cool, and then blenderized it.  I have had bad experiences with hot soup and my blender.)
6. When ready to serve, warm it back up and add cream right before serving. 

Chris really liked this soup- He liked it even more when he added bacon and cheese to it the second night. = )  Nothing a little bacon and cheese can't fix- right?

8 comments:

Meredith said...

I've also been told that if you microwave old spices for 10-20 seconds, it "awakens" them.

I'll have to try this one sometime!

Rae said...

Sounds delicious! I wish that red peppers would drop to a reasonable price. I have only seen them for $1.50 each around here.

My name is PJ. said...

Chef Stu is making this tonight as the spup course of our meal. Muchas Gracias!!

Emily said...

Goodness girl, you have been BUSY! These recipes look good. Wish you lived closer.. I'd hire you to make me some dinner.. ha ha!

My name is PJ. said...

We had it last night...and everyone loved it!

SnoWhite said...

the addition of bacon and cheese sounds wonderful :) My hubby would love that too.

Lucy Marie said...

Mm bacon and cheese. Chris knows where it's at!

red pepper said...

yav okadar tutacakki bu urun harbiden merak etmeye basladim hehe imza batusoft ;)