Friday, November 6, 2009

Roasted Chicken on Potatoes and Red Onions

I don't really touch meat. 

I really don't like to associate meat with the animal from which it comes.  If not for Chris- I would be a part-time vegetarian- I would only eat meat if someone else prepared it.  Well I guess that is what I have been . . .

Until this week.  

Wednesday I did this.


Yes- I roasted a chicken. 

I found a happy (read: organic/free range) chicken on sale at the store and something changed in me.

I bought the chicken.  I took it home.  I opened the bag. 

I touched the uncooked chicken.  I took out a bag of something like gizzards.  I washed it.   I pushed butter, herbs and garlic under the skin.  I cooked it.  Then I picked it.  Then I ate it. 

It is kind of a big deal. 

And today I am going to revisit the bird for some broth making.  Wow.

Be impressed people.  Be impressed.

(I followed directions mostly from here.) 

13 comments:

Kayla said...

Wow! I'm impressed! That's great and it looks o so delicious!! :-) Yum!

Callista said...

i used to be the same way.... but now im all proud of myself when i make something like this. its tastes better when i have a sense of satisfaction :)

PS - looks really yummy!

Kristen said...

very impressive! Looks delicious!

Priscilla said...

Looks wonderful. I love roast chickens, but agree with you about the whole meat preparation thing. Congrats:-)

Emily said...

Looks delish! Very impressed by your skills and that you took a leap and prepared that awesome looking chicken!

SnoWhite said...

I'm with you. But, if you can do it. I can too :)

This looks wonderful.

Mandy said...

I am super impressed! ...and kind of grossed out. You won't see me touching raw meat anytime soon. :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

You touched it? That gets you a gold star in my book. Looks really yummy.

My name is PJ. said...

I am, indeed, impressed. It looks wonderful! And the carcas of a roasted chicken makes for the best stock!

Brittany Ann said...

I'm impressed! Go girl!

Rae said...

I am the same way (only more so, I guess since I don't eat meat unless I have to). I have made chicken once or twice for my husband since we married and fish only a few times more. I am sure that he'd love something like this, but the closest I'll get to making it is to suggest that he do it. :-)

Meredith said...

I am definitely impressed! It's always seemed like wwwaaaayyyyy too much work to me!

Shaina said...

Oh my gosh, it's gorgeous!!! I also hate touching raw meat and I cannot cook a whole chicken like that AT ALL. Nicely done! I am duly impressed.