Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Homemade Lotion Bar

Well last week we had two days of being snowed in.  I love it.  It seems a little early in the year- but it just gets me thinking of Christmas!  yippee!

Anyway, while I was snowed in, I finally got around to some of the stuff I have been wanting to do, but never really got around to doing.

Such as the sweater.

And making homemade lotion bars.

I got the idea from Screams of Terror from My Kitchen.  (She is pretty awesome.  She told me about the Apple Pie Jelly from apple peelings.)

Good lotion is expensive.  In Colorado you need good lotion.  So I was willing to try a very hydrating lotion that came in a neat form.


 
I adapted the recipe from here
Here is what you need:


1 part olive oil
1 part shea butter
1 part beeswax
a little essential oil if desired (I used Birch Sweet- I have no idea what it is but it smells like bubble gum- yum.)
some vitamin E if you have it or want it

Directions

1. Melt beeswax and shea butter in a doulbe boiler. (I used two pots.)

2. When melted, add oil, essential oils and vitamin E.
3. Pour into a mold or a container that you want to use.


4. Cool and then use!

Taryn's Take:
This bar feels like the consistency of soap.  But I must have done something a little wrong because mine broke apart when I picked it up.  Maybe it needed to be in a smaller container so it would be thicker.  It works like a charm- very moisturizing (read very oily- I have to rub a lot to get it in- but once it is in- it is great!)

7 comments:

Meghan said...

Did it mess up your pot?

KaitlynRae said...

That's really interesting! I tried making lotion once before. It was too oily for me. But if it works... especially in your climate, great!
My sister-in-law and I are planning on making laundry detergent sometime soon. I hope it works out! I tend to mess those kinds of things up. Hehe...

Lucy Marie said...

Wow you are so industrious. You inspire me!

By the way - was it you who made homemade bath fizzies? I was thinking about making some for Christmas gifts .. any suggestions?

Callista said...

i wonder if it was the olive oil.... i cant wait to try it out with my sisters! i might add a smidgen more beeswax to the mix to make sure it stays fairly solid. still its neat to see your results. i have terrible dry skin in the winter so i can deal with a bit of oily-ness as long as it eventually absorbs...

Callista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Thank you for sharing this. I want to try it for my hubby. He has such dry skin in the winter, it would be a great gift.

Anonymous said...

They are becoming the enhancement option of choice for many men for several reasons. vimax pills is the best penis enlargement pills on the market today.more info visit http://www.male-sexual.com/vimax-pills.html