Monday, October 19, 2009

Weekend Fun: Smartwool and Apples

Are you familiar with Smartwool?  They are a Steamboat Springs based company who makes wool clothing that is super warm and super soft.  Not itchy like most wool clothing.

This weekend, they had their sample sale (which included several other vendors such as Simple, Roxy, Quicksilver and some others I had never heard of before).  Lucky for me- they sold half of the stuff here in Boulder and the other half in Steamboat Springs (3-4 hours away). 

Here is how it went down:

20 minutes of waiting to get in + hordes of people + $28 = 7 pairs of Smartwool socks



See?  I even got several pairs of "high performance socks" so my poor little feets won't have to be cold when we go camping next year.  That, and I will have the appropriate sleeping bag.  
In addition to finding the best socks ever- I also processed apples this weekend.

Remember when I said I went apple picking?  Well here is what we got.



About 35 lbs of apples.  Crazy.

From those apples I made 12 pints of applesauce, 2 cups of dried apples, and from the peelings, I made 20 1/2 pints of Apple Pie Jelly. My hands are stained a nice brown/red from the apple peels.  Seriously.

Details on the apple jelly and dried apples to come.

9 comments:

Meredith said...

I haven't ever heard of Smartwool, but it sounds fantastic!

Tania-Dreams2009 said...

Love wearing warm socks when it's chilly. Good selection you got at the sale!

Lucy Marie said...

Nice! I'm doing applesauce and apple butter this weekend. I was thinking of doing jelly but I just don't think I'll have time.

SnoWhite said...

Yummy! If you have any peels left over, you can make a delicious tea :)

Love Smartwool by the way!

Kristen said...

Turns out we have an apple tree in our front yard.... so in the next couple of days I'll be making some apple cinnamon rolls! I've never tried this before so no guarantees that it will be blog worthy! lol

Brittany Ann said...

You know how to shop in bulk!

My name is PJ. said...

I wear smart wool socks (from LL Bean)! It's the thermos mentality: How do they know when they should keep your feet cool vs when they should keep your feet warm? One of life's greatest mysteries.

BTW, I was a good kid growing up, apart from very few missteps. And I didn't lie about storing a man in my closet, I just never mentioned it. After all, nobody asked if there was one! :)

Kimberly said...

Where did you pick apples? I'm always looking for pick your own places! I'm on my last 20 lbs of apples today. 100 pounds already done, 20 to go!

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.