Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sentimental Sweater Pillow

I am a sentimental person.  I struggle to throw things away that are associated with good memories.  Anyone else?

I am learning to let go of the thing- while still maintaining the memory- but I have not quite perfected it.  Instead, I am finding a way around throwing things out by turning them into new things.

Take this sweater.  (I know it is inside out- I forgot to take a picture right side out- and I can't find any pictures of me wearing it.)



I wore this sweater while driving in the car to meet Chris on our wedding day.  I  didn't want to wear my dress in the car (wrinkles?) so I wore the sweater and some jeans.

We decided to take pictures before the ceremony at the lake where Chris proposed.  (Oooo- very romantic . . .) The unromantic part is that I had to change in the parking lot!  Chris and my sister held up sheets while the photographer got a show.



The problem is that I never wore the sweater much before that day- and never after.

But I couldn't just give it away!

So I made it into a pillow.  It doesn't really match any room in our apartment- but oh well.  I get to keep it a bit longer.  Success!



Here are some cursory directions.

I followed instructions from Leeann from Mint Basil. 

1. Find a sweater you like- but don't wear.  Sew from armpit to armpit.

2. Cut off the top.  Sew over the edge one more time to make sure it is super strong.
3. Measure and make a pillow to fit inside your sweater.  (My pillow is too small for my sweater case- I need to work on this skill.)
4. Like Leeann- my sweater pillow got "ears" where the armpits were, so I just sewed the sweater in a bit and cut off the extra. (Leeann has pictures and explains it better- just go see her.)
5.  Sew some ribbon on the bottom of the sweater to hold your pillow in the case.  Tie closed and enjoy!  


Just for fun- here is a picture of Chris and I at the lake.  sigh.


Happy memory lives on.

7 comments:

Meredith said...

I think that's a great idea for an old sweater!

Tania-Dreams2009 said...

Oh I love making pillows. Great idea for your sweater with the memories attached! :)

Lucy Marie said...

I am sentimental like that, too. That's really special.

Mandy said...

Awww, that's awesome, Taryn! :)

Adie said...

So cute! If you have babies it will be great in the nursery and than you can use it for feedings.

My name is PJ. said...

First things first-
GORGEOUS WEDDING PHOTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sweater pillow idea is cute! I'm thinking it would translate well to flannel shirts too. Thanks for posting that!

Kristin said...

That dress is stunning. And what an adorable pillow!