Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Homemade Apple Pie Jelly

I made 12 pints of applesauce from our apples- and I kept most of the peelings to make Apple Jelly.

I got the idea from Screams of Terror from the Kitchen.  She was so helpful!

I made three batches of jelly- and got 20 1/2 pints.  See, my jelly is so talented and beautiful, no?


What am I going to do with 20 1/2 pints of jelly you ask?  Good question.

I am going to give them to my MOPS volunteers and workers for Christmas.  Good idea, Taryn. 

But, I would like to give them something else too- something that goes with the gift, you know? I was thinking about putting a quick bread mix in a pretty bag and giving them that . . . so they could make the bread and spread the jelly on it?

I don't know- what are your thoughts?  Any good ideas?

Apple Pie Jelly
adapted from Screams of Terror from the Kitchen

Ingredients
  • Leftover Apple peels, cores and discarded pieces (I almost filled my 5 quart pot)
  • water to cover the peels
  • pectin
  • 3 cups sugar
  • cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg to taste
Directions
  1. Put apple peels and cores into a stock pot- I used my green pot- but you could use anything really. 
  2. Pour water in until it almost covers the apple peels.
  3. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the peels have lost their color and the cores are soft.  
  4. When cool enough to touch, wring the juice out of the apple with four layers of cheese cloth - or let it drip through a jelly bag. 
  5. Process according to the instructions in the pectin box. 
    1. My instructions were to add pectin and bring to a boil.
    2. Add sugar and spices- and return to a boil for 1 minute. 
    3. Process into jars.  
Thanks friend!  This jelly is delish!

8 comments:

Kayla said...

This is such a cute idea! I love the bread mix idea. That would be a super fun gift. On another note, when do you find out about the house???

Lucy Marie said...

I think that the bread mix is a great idea. My MIL has these books, one is bread gifts, one is cookies and one is soups. They are all recipes for giving people those mixes in a jar. Great idea!!!

You can also give me some of that jelly. The end.

Brittany Ann said...

Love the bread mix gift idea!

Callista said...

im so glad you like it!
i was actually gathering recipes for "make-a-mix" gifts. i'll have to post some once i get a good list together.

cheers!

SnoWhite said...

yummy!! nice work.

I vote for your wheat quick bread -- it's easy (no kneading) and delicious. Put it in a jar, add the recipe and you have a great pair!

Kimberly said...

Perfect timing!!! Of course, I do wish I had read this a half hour ago before I dumped the first bowl of cores and peels onto my compost pile. No matter, I still have a half bushel to do still. I tried making cider out of the first batched, but didn't get much. It is amazing all the things you can do with what would otherwise be wasted, isn't it?

My name is PJ. said...

I like the idea very much. I think you could also type the recipe up on a card and give that with the jelly and skip the bread mix.

Pray tell, what does MOPS stand for? Curiouser and curiouser....

Kimberly said...

My 10 jars are in the canner boiling away! I canned Spice Apples this morning and cooked down the peels & cores. This feels like free food! Well, except the time & sugar. Thanks for sharing!