Thursday, October 22, 2009

Crunchy Peanut Butter and Granola Cookies

I had some granola that I hadn't used in years months which needed to be used or tossed.  Rather than toss it- I looked online for a recipe and found this one.



Not quite as good as Olympic Cookies- but they sure didn't last long around here.

Also- this was my first attempt at using Truvia.



I used half sugar, and half Truvia.  I couldn't tell that "weird" sugar was present- and neither could Chris.  What are your thoughts on this stuff?

Crunchy Peanut Butter and Granola Cookies
Adapted from Culinary in the Desert (awesome blog- he is blogging from MN!)

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup dark brown sugar (I used 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup equivalent of Truvia)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter, smooth or chunky
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups granola
  • Optional: 1/2 cup dry roasted salted peanuts, chopped and 1/2 cup dried fruit (I added 1/2 cup chocolate chips instead)
Directions
  1. Beat butter, sugar (and Truvia), and peanut butter until well blended.
  2. Beat in baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
  3. Mix in egg and vanilla.
  4. Slowly add flour and mix until blended.
  5. Add granola (and peanuts, chocolate chips and fruit if using) and combine.
  6. Drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheets and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
  7. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Meredith said...

I'm not opposed to Truvia or anything like that, but I'm just leery of using brand new sweeetner products right now. I'm actually trying to stay away from most artificial sweeteners whenever possible and stick to things like Sugar In The Raw

Rose said...

Interesting....I feel like truvia is almost too good to be true. But it is all natural, so what the heck? I will have to try that recipe sometime!

erin said...

I use SweetLeaf stevia. It was the first- its CEO and founder, Jim May, was the first person to bring stevia to the U.S. in 1982. It's also the most natural.

In fact, Jim May is holding a webinar on 10/27 and will discuss the differences between brands. Its free and I already signed up! If you're interested, here's the link to the article where the link to register in embedded!
www.prlog.org/10375388-is-stevia-shaking-up-sweetener-markets-james-may-aka-father-of-stevia-shares-views-at-webinar.html

Sarah said...

I like it because it isn't actually an artificial sweetener it is just a plant. But I like the Sun Crystals brand better than the Truvia. But I am going to have to try your recipe.....or you could make them and bring them over ;)