Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Dried Plum Crumble Bars


I made these the first time long ago (when Chris was on vicodin and needed some extra . . . umm . . . fiber.) I made them recently and they were still delicious! Not as good as the first time- I think I overcooked them a bit or the whole wheat flour changed the texture too much- I'm not sure. When I make them again- because I love them regardless- I will try to remedy the baking time and texture thing. (I have posted the recipe that I used- so change it as you like. Good luck!)

Dried Plum Crumble Bars
adapted from everyday food (May 2008)

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan
  • 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour, spooned and leveled
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 8 ounces dried plums (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 3/4 cup apple juice
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan; line bottom and two sides with a strip of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang (do it- it will make your life easier). Butter paper; set pan aside.
  2. In a food processor, pulse together 2 cups flour and 1 cup sugar. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
  3. Transfer half of mixture to prepared pan; with lightly floured fingers, press firmly into bottom. Set aside. Shape remaining mixture into large, moist clumps; transfer topping to a bowl, and set aside. Wipe food processor bowl clean.
  4. Make filling: In food processor, blend plums, apple juice, lemon zest, and remaining 2 tablespoons each flour and sugar until a thick paste forms.
  5. Using a small offset spatula or table knife, spread filling over crust. Sprinkle with topping. Bake until topping is golden brown, 60 to 65 minutes.
  6. Transfer pan to a wire rack; let cool completely. Using paper overhang, lift crumble from pan, and transfer to a cutting board; cut into 20 bars. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.
  7. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Brittany Ann said...

I have a deep and undying love for plums. I need to make these.

(You know, I find myself saying that a lot when I leave your blog. "I need to make these." If I only had your abilities. Which I don't. Because I never do it nearly as much as I maintain I should!)

Still, you inspire me:)

La Nouvelle Femme said...

Ooh, I've never baked anything with plums before. This sounds like a great recipe to try!

Miss Healthypants said...

Such detailed instructions!--I love it! :) These look very yummy.

Nice place you got here...and thanks for stopping by my blog. May I ask how you found it? :)

My name is PJ. said...

Love the sneaky fiber angle!

Today I have a guest blogger who is posting something you may just enjoy. Please check her out!!

love melody said...

thanks for stopping by the blog! it's been a while since I've updated, but I did today! I must try these! :)