Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Peanut Butter Choclate Chip Muffins



Yum!  These muffins were my first attmepts at baking with many new and newer substitutions.
First: banana for egg

Second: Homemade chocolate chips for regular

Third: Applesauce for oil

These muffins baked up really well- I couldn't tell that I had substituted anything weird in there . . . nice.  However, despite all the natural and less natural sugars, I didn't feel like they were not all that sweet.  Not like my carrot cake muffins.  Oh well.

I think the banana substitution actually adds a nice flavor to the mix- who doesn't love banana, chocolate, and peanut butter all together?

All in all- these are very good-and not too bad for you, eh?
  
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Cooking During Stolen Moments

Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. brown sugar
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • one ripe banana (or two eggs)
  • 1 3/4 c. milk
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 1/4 c. applesauce or oil
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter
  • 1 c. chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Mush up the banana.  
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.  
  3. In another bowl, mix wet ingredients (excluding Peanut Butter and chocolate chips).
  4. Add wet ingredients with dry and stir until combined.  
  5. Add in peanut butter and mix.
  6. Add chocolate chips and combine. 
  7. Drop into muffin tins and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. 

7 comments:

Kayla said...

Yum!! I wish I was as good at baking as you are! Your hubby is very lucky!

Lucy Marie said...

Yum-o! I want to eat this right now please.

Emily said...

OH MY! That is what I'm talking about.... never thought about using a banana for a egg.

a H.I.T. said...

These seriously look delicious.

Adie said...

Wow! I had never heard of the banana substitution. That is amazing.

My name is PJ. said...

Okay, I'll send you first class airline tickets to the east coast and you can bake these for us!

You should do a cookbook; your angle could be the young, just starting out, newly married, freshly college graduated wife, who brings her hometown know-how and combines it with her healthy lifestyle.

And I'd buy it for my husband. Yes, I would!

Karine said...

Your muffins look delicious! The combo of peanut butter and chocolate is so great. Thanks for sharing!