Monday, September 21, 2009

Lets try again- Camping in Rocky Mountain National Park- one week late


Okay- here we are one week later.  I am feeling much much better.  I still can't sleep very well, but I can walk around for more than three minutes without feeling like I am about to die!  Hallelujah!

Last weekend we went up to to Rock Mountain National Park with our good friends Andrew and Mandy.  (Also known as Mandrew if you are talking too fast.)  Anyway, they were kind enough to let up join them in an adventure!

We saw some amazing sites.  I mean whoa.  It was raining (awesome) but in a way, I think it made the hike and sites more beautiful.  You will see.

When we first made our way into the park we saw tons of elk.  People were stopped all over the road looking and these guys.



I didn't use zoom- we were really that close.



This guy was nursing!!  How cool is that?

Then we went for a 8 mile hike.  It was so much easier than hiking the 13er.  I felt like we had SO MUCH oxygen the whole time- and my legs didn't really even get that tired (until the way down).  It was so beautiful.  Here are some pictures.


Here are Chris and I at the waterfall. I had to get really close because Chris told the photographer to cut me out of the picture.  


My buddy Mandy and I at the waterfall.  I got close because I LOVE HER! 




See what I mean about the rain?  I think the clouds and mist make it look like it was out of a movie.  I literally gasped when we came up the hill and saw it.  Sigh.

Here is all four of us at the lake. 



Then came the fun part.  After we finished the hike and got the campsite- we quick set up our tents and roasted some hot dogs.  And Ate more S'mores than I can count.  It was a good night.

It was late, and cold, so we went to bed.  It was going to be cold, so I had on two pairs of pants, three shirts (and a sweatshirt), two pairs of huge socks and my hood on.  I should have been good. 

However, the whole night I could not get warm. 

After many hours of in an hour of fitful sleep, I woke Chris and tried to get into his sleeping bag with him.  However, then it would only zip up to my waist.  We lay like that for awhile and then when it reached a respectable time to get up (5:00 am) I begged him to get up and make a fire because I was still cold. 

As we emerged from our tent, we saw ICE on the tent.  On the car.  On everything.  It was so cold it was freezing!  No wonder I was cold.  I often get cold at night, so oh well.

We made a fire in freezing temps and finally started to get warm.  Kinda.  It took a long long time.

The best part about this adventure though, was that when we took everything back to his parents' house (we were borrowing their stuff) guess what we discovered?  The bag I was sleeping in- it was only rated for 40dregees and above.  No wonder I was Cold!!!!

And Chris' bag?  Rated to below freezing.

Ugh.

Next time- I am going to get a different bag.

All in all it was a ton of fun.  I LOVE camping.  Not so much the cold, but the camping part is awesome.  

13 comments:

Brittany Ann said...

YOu're right. It's all in the bag. My father, an avid camper, actually has a "Florida sleeping bag" and an "Everywhere Else sleeping bag" for that very reason.

Danielle said...

I love RMNP! Looks like you had a great trip (aside from the freezing temps). I had a similar experience a few years ago and I cannot even describe how miserable I was. Except it was 3 nights long. Did you guys have sleeping pads? The ratings on the bags are usually done with that in mind. They do make a huge difference! Glad you're feeling better.

Meredith said...

This is why I usually hate camping--I don't shell out for the expensive bags and am consequently always cold!

The First-Year Wife said...

I haven't been camping in years, but I was ALWAYS too cold to sleep to! It looks like you still had a great time though! :)

Mandy said...

Fun times! We'll have to do it again next year...when it warms up again. :)

My name is PJ. said...

Once upon a time, I loved camping too. The best trick? Get a couple of bags that are rated to well below freezing and that zip together!

SnoWhite said...

I'm so sorry you got so cold at night!! But, the photos do look beautiful and I'm glad you guys had a great time :)

Lucy Marie said...

You dudes should totally get matching sleeping bags that zip together. We have them and they are great because we can make them into one bed. And if it's really cold, I can get the dog to get in there with me too and keep me warm.

Shaina said...

I am totally seconding Lucie Marie. Get the two person sleeping bags!!!! Amazing!!!

And wow - beautiful photos. I love Colorado!

Kelsey said...

I'm so jealous... that sounds like a REALLY good time! I can't believe you got that close to an elk; when we were in Custer State Park they were very very shy of people so we could only see them really high on the mountain, from a distance.

I would definitely recommend investing in some "technical" clothes and/or equipment if you plan to do a lot of camping. You can even get some things second-hand, and they are so worth the cost. A "fake" fleece from Old Navy or something feels fuzzy, but it won't keep you warm!

Sarah said...

Beautiful photos!!

Priscilla said...

Your photos are beautiful. Looks like fun. I too hate freezing when camping. It is the worst part. I think Kurt and I need to invest in one of those two persons sleeping bags:-)

Emily said...

Love the pictures, looks like a great time! But yes, I'm always cold at night too.