It's ease comes from the fact that it does not need to be Knead. haha- sorry I could not resist. It is just like a quick bread or sweet bread (such as Strawberry Bread or Lemon Blueberry Bread)- just mix it all together, place in pan, give a little rise and let it bake up!
Four-Grain Batter Bread
adapted from Betty Crocker
- 4 1/2 Cups flour (I used my mix of whole wheat, white whole wheat and pastry flour)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 4 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 2 Cups water (or milk)
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup wheat germ
- 1/2 Cup quick oats
- Grease two standard bread pans and sprinkle with cornmeal or extra oats.
- Mix 3 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt baking soda and yeast.
- Add warmed water (or milk) (120 degrees) to flour mixture.
- Beat until moistened.
- Stir in additional whole wheat flour, wheat germ, oats and remaining whole wheat flour mixture- enough to make a stiff batter.
- Divide mixture evenly between the bread pans. Loosely cover and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until done.