Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Easiest Homemade Bread Ever.

When we had our soup I posted about yesterday, I made some delicious bread to go with it.  This is by far the easiest homemade bread you can make.  And it is pretty good too. 

It's ease comes from the fact that it does not need to be Knead.  haha- sorry I could not resist.  It is just like a quick bread or sweet bread (such as Strawberry Bread or Lemon Blueberry Bread)- just mix it all together, place in pan, give a little rise and let it bake up!

(Mine did not bake up quite as much as it has in the past, I think my yeast might be sickly, or I had too much whole wheat flour.) 

Four-Grain Batter Bread
adapted from Betty Crocker

Ingredients
  • 4 1/2 Cups flour (I used my mix of whole wheat, white whole wheat and pastry flour)
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 4 1/2 tsp dry yeast
  • 2 Cups water (or milk)
  • 1/2 Cup water
  • 1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 Cup wheat germ
  • 1/2 Cup quick oats
Directions
  1. Grease two standard bread pans and sprinkle with cornmeal or extra oats.
  2. Mix 3 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt baking soda and yeast.  
  3. Add warmed water (or milk) (120 degrees) to flour mixture.
  4. Beat until moistened.  
  5. Stir in additional whole wheat flour, wheat germ, oats and remaining whole wheat flour mixture- enough to make a stiff batter.  
  6. Divide mixture evenly between the bread pans.  Loosely cover and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
  7. Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until done.  

9 comments:

Emily said...

Ooh, a bread machineless unsweeet bread? Definitely giving it a try!

SnoWhite said...

Awesome!

Can't wait to try it :)

Meredith said...

I hate kneading, so I will definitely have to give this a try!

Kayla said...

Thanks Taryn! By the way, everything always looks so delicious that you make! I wish my middle name was Betty Crocker too :-)

Lucy Marie said...

Nice. I like easy.

*claire* said...

um YUM. homemade bread is the best!! i've never been brave enough to try it myself, but that looks pretty simple!

Audra said...

This looks delicious! I am going to try it out tonight! Thank you! Stop by my blog, I am having a Frugal givewawy!

My name is PJ. said...

Fresh baked bread is one of my favorite scents. One of my favorite treats too!

SnoWhite said...

This just came out of my oven... looks and smells delicious! Mine didn't rise too much either.