Monday, September 7, 2009

Dried Pears


More dehydrator fun! Perhaps you are getting tired of hearing about how awesome this thing is- but that is just all the more reason to get out and get your own! I promise- it is the best kitchen tool ever! (Well, maybe not ever- but it is awesome.)

This weekend, I played around with dehydrating pears. They are delicious- tons of fiber- so they stay together well when dried.

I soaked them in lemon juice and water before drying them to help prevent browning, and I think it worked. We will have to see if they stay this shade or turn brown and time goes on.

Dried Pears
instructions from the dehydrator book

Ingredients
  • pears
  • some lemon juice
  • water
Directions
  1. Cut pear into thin slices.
  2. Soak in a few tablespoons of lemon juice and water (to prevent browning) for 5 minutes.
  3. Lay on dehydrator for 5-6 hours until dry.
Easy as pie!

7 comments:

Adie said...

Yum I may need to get a dehydrator!

SnoWhite said...

awesome! I've been wanting to try making dried pears - good to know they hold up well :)

Katie said...

I am seriously impressed with your dehydration skills ;)

Emily said...

That looks and sounds yummy! I never knew all of the things you are making could be dehydrated. How neat!

My name is PJ. said...

These look great! Did you ever give us the make and model number for your dehydrator? I'd like it!

Your thesis does make sense to me. So, did you major in English? Religion?

Audra said...

I have been toying with the idea of getting a dehydrator. I am so getting a dehydrator now! Thanks for the idea!

Emily said...

These look so good. I love dried pears and peaches and mango and... I'm thinking I may need a dehydrator of my own very soon.