Friday, September 4, 2009

Carrot Cake Muffins


As you know- I love anything with cream cheese frosting, carrots and zucchini.  Yum.

But when I came across these muffins/cupcakes at Cooking During Stolen Moments- I knew that I had a new love interest.

I gave them a shot- actually- I gave them two shots and they were lovely.  (we ate the first batch too fast!)

Here is the scoop- they are a million times easier than making one of these or these.  Wow. The simplicity was shocking.

But they are not quite as good as the cakes.  I don't really know why- unless the cake form and the work that goes into making a cake somehow impacts the taste?

I don't know- definitely worth your time to make for the best breakfasts or tempting desserts.  


Carrot Cake Muffins
from Cooking During Stolen Moments


Ingredients



  • 1 c. raisins + 1 c. boiling water
  • 3 c. flour
  • 3 t. baking soda
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. nutmeg
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 3/4 c. oil
  • 3/4 c. applesauce (you can use any combination of the oil and applesauce that you want)
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 4 large carrots, grated
Frosting


  • 3 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 T. butter or margarine
  • 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 t. vanilla
Directions

1. Place the raisins in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Stir in oil, applesauce and vanilla until combined. Drain the raisins and add to the bowl. Add the carrots and mix. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir just until moistened.
4. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes, until browned and fully baked.
5. When cooled, frost with frosting. 
(Frosting: Beat the cream cheese, butter or margarine, powdered sugar and vanilla together until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Frost muffins once they are fully cooled. Store in the refrigerator.)

8 comments:

Adie said...

Hmm I LOVE carrot cake!! I wonder if because they are so little they bake too much. My fav part about carrot cake is how soft it is all over. Cupcakes don't do that they always have a bit of a crispy edge. Well mine do.

Erin said...

Oh yeah...anything with cream cheese as an ingredient is not safe around me ;-) These look fab!

Emily said...

Your carrot cakes are making me so hungry. I think there's a direct correlation between reading your blog and the way my jeans fit everyday :). I'll be making these soon.

Mandy said...

Looks fabulous, Taryn! :)

Enjoy the holiday weekend!

Katie said...

I love carrot cake. I want to make these. I want to be fabulous like you ;)

♥Brandy said...

They look yummy!

My name is PJ. said...

Carrot cake, the really good stuff, is probably my favoritest cake in the whole world.

My theory about it being better than the muffins is because it's bigger and bakes differently...no overdone edges, everything evenly moist.

Yumyumyummyyum!

Callista said...

mmmmm.... i have a container of grated carrot waiting in my fridge for this. i <3 carrot cake ^_^