Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Whew- Life Got in the Way

Sorry about the lack of posting- life has gotten in the way of blogging! Where have my priorites gone?

Anyway, I am here.

kinda.

I am trying to figure out my life.

It is hard to do.

But in the breaks between life soul searching, I have been pretty busy with apples.

A good friend came back into town (sans his wife- we miss you Heather) for some work. When he and his brother came over the other night, they brought a million Granny Smith apples. Well not quite a million, but about half a box.

So we did what any good apple loving people do- we made apple butter and apple crisp. Delicious.

I didn't take many pictures of the apple butter, but I hope to make some more tomorrow or Thursday (I still have 22 apples left) so I will document it then.

However, I do have the recipe for Apple Crisp that I can post for you now.

Apple Crisp
from Betty Crocker

Ingredients
  • 4 medium cooking apples (sliced)
  • 3/4 C brown sugar
  • 1/2 C flour (whole wheat)
  • 1/2 C oats
  • 1/3 C butter, softened
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 375. Grease 8 x 8 baking dish.
  2. Spread apples in pan. Don't try to be pretty. I tried- but it was just a waste of time because there were so many apples.
  3. Mix together remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over apples.
  4. Bake for about 30 minutes. When the top is lightly browned and the apples are tender it is done.
Betty said that we didn't need to peel the apples for the crisp- but I I think I would do it next time. Some of the skins didn't get cooked all the way or something. They were not great.

9 comments:

T i f f a n y said...

Oh my goodness. That stuff looks totally amazing! I love apple crisp - especially with ice cream :)

Heather said...

I miss you guys too. Hopefully I'll be able to get away from residency soon and visit! Thanks for hanging out with my husband. I'm glad you get to enjoy him when I can't!

Shaina said...

Ugh. I HATE when life gets in the way of blogging. Why can't we just get a paid a salary for this??? Is that so much to ask?

Anyway, the apple crisp looks AMAZING. Time for some baking, STAT.

Lucy Marie said...

Life ... get out of the stinkin' way! We want Taryn back.

I love apple crisp but I do not love skins. I am with you ... peel them next time.

Emily said...

That looks delish!

I think I would peel the skin off too. I can eat granny smith apples with the skin on but I hate a red apple with the skin.

SnoWhite said...

yay for another awesome Taryn recipe!! oh, and I love the header too. glad you're back -- hope you're back more often ;)

Adie said...

Oh My Gosh Taryn! I am feeling the same way. I want to be a stay at home mom but I just got my degree and have always wanted a career. I am so torn right now. I love my kids and I can't get this time back with them but everytime my husband talks about bills I take on more part time work. Which is taking away from my family time and not fulfilling my career needs either. AWWW I am so glad you took the time to write on my post because that is what I like the most about blogging (reading/writing) is it helps me feel less imperfect. I don't wish anyone struggles but I get some comfort knowing I am not alone.
Also my mom makes the worlds BEST apple crisp and she always peels the apples.
On the cookbook thing I can totally understand not wanting to put yourself out there. But I think we can probably put it together and get them printed (through my connections) cheap enough that if they don't sell you have Christmas presents. I hate going to my computer for recipes I would much rather have a book than remember where I saw what. Let me know I would love to help. (Sorry mine was so long!!)

My name is PJ. said...

This exact recipe is a household favorite. I so enjoy your recipe posts! Love the others too though!!

Danielle said...

That looks so good and so much easier than apple pie. AND I have about 6 apples which are past their prime. Perfect!