Now onto Birthday Cake.
I love carrot cake. It might be my favorite cake ever. Except maybe ice cream cake, cheese cake, or anything with cream cheese or ice cream. Yumm.
I posted the original recipe for this cake here, but then Snowhite changed the recipe to include zucchini and applesauce, so I thought I should give that a try.
The end product was amazing. The applesauce made the cake considerably more "mushy." But not really in a bad way. However, if you are like my father-in-law and like you cookies burned- then this "mushy-ness" was not an improvement. However, everyone else loved it.
Enjoy! Happy Birthday!
Modified Homemade Carrot Cake
From My Mother-in-Law and Finding Joy in My Kitchen
- 2 C Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 C sugar
- 1 C applesauce
- 1/2 C oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 tsp. cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger (not 3 tsp. each- but total- mix it up however you like)
- 2 C carrots, shredded
- 2 C zucchini, shredded
- Sift all dry ingredients.
- Add oil, eggs, carrots and zucchini and mix well.
- Grease and flour 3 8'' layers (or two 9'' pans with one 8'' pan (or just two big 9" pans)).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add cream cheese, beat until smooth.
- Add vanilla.