Saturday, August 22, 2009

Modified Carrot Cake

First off, I would like to thank everyone for the super sweet birthday wishes! You guys are so awesome!

Now onto Birthday Cake.


I love carrot cake. It might be my favorite cake ever. Except maybe ice cream cake, cheese cake, or anything with cream cheese or ice cream. Yumm.

I posted the original recipe for this cake here, but then Snowhite changed the recipe to include zucchini and applesauce, so I thought I should give that a try.

The end product was amazing. The applesauce made the cake considerably more "mushy." But not really in a bad way. However, if you are like my father-in-law and like you cookies burned- then this "mushy-ness" was not an improvement. However, everyone else loved it.

Enjoy! Happy Birthday!

Modified Homemade Carrot Cake
From My Mother-in-Law and Finding Joy in My Kitchen

Ingredients
  • 2 C Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 C sugar
  • 1 C applesauce
  • 1/2 C oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 tsp. cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger (not 3 tsp. each- but total- mix it up however you like)
  • 2 C carrots, shredded
  • 2 C zucchini, shredded
Directions
  1. Sift all dry ingredients.
  2. Add oil, eggs, carrots and zucchini and mix well.
  3. Grease and flour 3 8'' layers (or two 9'' pans with one 8'' pan (or just two big 9" pans)).
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients
  • 3 C powdered sugar
  • 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 C butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla
Directions
  1. Cream butter and sugar.
  2. Add cream cheese, beat until smooth.
  3. Add vanilla.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Happy birthday! Carrot cake is my favorite, too. In fact I was planning on making one for my birthday in a few weeks. :)

Katie said...

I may or may not be salivating right now.

SnoWhite said...

Yum. Now you're making me hungry for cake!! Glad you enjoyed it with the zucchini and applesauce.

My name is PJ. said...

Love, love, love carrot cake! Heads up: Tomorrow morning, one of my posts bequeaths awards and you are one of the recipients.