Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Have Been Painting!

We live in a big apartment complex. People move out all. the. time. Thus the dumpsters are often overflowing with treasures. Like these:


What? You don't think these are treasures?

Wait until they have a coat of sea foam green Oops! paint from Home Depot and you might change your mind.


See?

The chair with no back is serving as a stool in our bedroom so I can adjust the quilt we have hanging up to block light, heat and cold.

(Funny story- I painted the stool and then distressed it because I love stuff that looks old. Chris however could not comprehend that I would paint something and then scratch it all up. He thought I was sanding it for another coat of paint. Sorry Chris- this is the way it is supposed to look.)

The chair with a back is in the bedroom also. It just sits there and holds the pillows we don't sleep with at night. sigh.



I am pretty proud of my chairs. They are not perfect- but so much better than they were- don't you think?

17 comments:

~*~Kate~*~ said...

I don't live anywhere near a treasure trove like that. Wish we did. though...those are great findes.

Fine For Now said...

Totally treasures! I have several "gently used" pieces of furniture in my house, including two perfect condition area rugs, a desk, bedside tables and a few lamps! I like to call it side-of-the-road-special..hehe!

Della said...

My last room was painted sea foam green! :)

The chairs look so much better now that you got your hands (or paintbrush?) on them.

Men never understand distressing. Ever. :)

SnoWhite said...

Love the "old" look - that's what I was hoping you'd do with them :)

Lisa said...

These look fantastic!

Meredith said...

I love the color.

My husband doesn't understand painting wood OR painting and distressing wood!

Emily said...

Great finds! I don't have a good imagination so I could never think to do something with something that looked bad in the first place. You did a good job painting!

Danielle said...

I love a good dumpster dive and you're right the dumpsters over there are always full. You could furnish an entire apartment with the stuff that people throw away.

Also, I'm glad to hear that someone only has one car. We're seriously considering it. Although it's still going to be a while before we have a car to get rid of. :)

Mandy said...

Very cool! :)

Adie said...

That is awesome!! You did a great job! I have been wanting to redo some chairs. if you see anything in the dumpster that I could rehopolster(sp?) the seat and paint let me know.

Lucy Marie said...

Very nice. I've been painting a chair too but I can't get motivated to finish it. Wanna help?

Brittany Ann said...

I love the distressed look too!

SnoWhite said...

seriously -- the apple peeler is one of my all-time favorite kitchen gadgets! I highly recommend it :)

My name is PJ. said...

Even before the paint, SCORE!!! Dumpster diving - I hold the Olympic Gold.

Rae said...

I agree, much, much better. And your husband's reaction is quite amusing.

KaitlynRae said...

Your chairs look great! I seriously never find anything like that around my neck of the woods. And I love looking at all the oops paints at Walmart, Lowes, etc... Great way to be thrifty, Taryn!

Kristi said...

My hubby doesn't get the distressed look either. (Even though I love me a good distressed piece of furniture.)