Friday, August 7, 2009

Homemade Watermelon Lemonade

You know when you cut up watermelon and all that extra juice starts to accumulate at the bottom of the bowl? My mother will drink it, but I cannot seem to- even though I love fresh watermelon.

While I was home, there was a little bit of watermelon that had passed its prime in texture (and I am a texture person all the way). I didn't want it to go to waste and I wanted to do something fun- so I made it into Watermelon Lemonade. Thankfully Smitten Kitchen had just posted about it, so my job was super easy.

It was quite good. I had had some watermelon lemonade in Boston this Spring, but it was too pulpy and too tangy, so I was a little nervous about this stuff. But it was good. I got to determine my level of pulp which helped tremendously. And you can too! Enjoy your leftover watermelon to its fullest.

Watermelon Lemonade
from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients
  • 2 Cups pureed watermelon
  • 1 Cup fresh (or not) lemon juice
  • 2 Cup simple syrup
  • 3 Cups water
Directions
  1. Puree the watermelon and extra juice.
  2. Juice the lemons. Easy with Mom's juicer.
  3. Strain the watermelon through a mesh strainer into the lemon juice. Strain to get rid of the watermelon fibers. I love pulp in my orange juice- but there was just too much watermelon pulp for me to handle.
  4. Make the simple syrup by dissolving 1 Cup sugar into 1 Cup water. The same recipe for feeding the hummingbirds I believe. But without the red.
  5. Mix it all together and serve with ice.

8 comments:

Kristen said...

sounds good and fairly easy! I think I'll try it!

Emily said...

I can taste it already! :)

Lucy Marie said...

What a yummy summer drink.

Sarah said...

Looks tasty! I will have to make it some day!

Adie said...

Sounds delicious and looks gorgeous!!

Jessi said...

looks so tasty...I am drooling on my keyboard!

~*~Kate~*~ said...

That sounds really good. I might have to try that one.

My name is PJ. said...

This sounds wonderful! It may take the 'edge' off the August heat! You asked about the lighthouse trip - I can't travel anymore, so we won't make that trip;however, don't feel sorry for me and don't misunderstand - I've been to all but Hawaii, Alaska, Oregon and Washington...and I've seen countless lighthouses. I just haven't photographed them all, or driven the eastern seaboard in its entirety in autumn. One trip to Key West, I took 72 photos of a single sunset, back before digital images. I'm a dweeb.