While I was home, there was a little bit of watermelon that had passed its prime in texture (and I am a texture person all the way). I didn't want it to go to waste and I wanted to do something fun- so I made it into Watermelon Lemonade. Thankfully Smitten Kitchen had just posted about it, so my job was super easy.
It was quite good. I had had some watermelon lemonade in Boston this Spring, but it was too pulpy and too tangy, so I was a little nervous about this stuff. But it was good. I got to determine my level of pulp which helped tremendously. And you can too! Enjoy your leftover watermelon to its fullest.
from Smitten Kitchen
- 2 Cups pureed watermelon
- 1 Cup fresh (or not) lemon juice
- 2 Cup simple syrup
- 3 Cups water
- Puree the watermelon and extra juice.
- Juice the lemons. Easy with Mom's juicer.
- Strain the watermelon through a mesh strainer into the lemon juice. Strain to get rid of the watermelon fibers. I love pulp in my orange juice- but there was just too much watermelon pulp for me to handle.
- Make the simple syrup by dissolving 1 Cup sugar into 1 Cup water. The same recipe for feeding the hummingbirds I believe. But without the red.
- Mix it all together and serve with ice.