Popcorn Salad is one of the most interesting dishes I have ever had. Be warned- it is not healthy. Salad maybe be a bit of a misnomer- like potato salad. But is was quite good. Better than I expected. (Thanks for making it Grandma! Thanks for ordering it Grandpa!)
This recipe comes from Grandma. She is pretty good at picking out the good ones. Here she is chopping celery.
- 3/4 C mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 C chopped celery
- 1 1/4 C shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 C crumbled bacon
- 6 C popped popcorn (air popped is better)
- Optional add-ins we did not have on hand- 8 oz water chestnuts (chopped)
and 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- Set measured popcorn aside.
- Combine Mayonnaise, sugar, celery, 1 cup cheese, 1/2 cup bacon together and mix well. Add chestnuts and chives if using.
- Mix with popcorn right before serving and sprinkle remaining bacon and cheese on top.
(This salad does not hold well at all. Maybe 15-25 minutes max. So don't mix the popcorn in until you are really ready to eat it.)
- Enjoy. You will not be disappointed.