Thursday, August 6, 2009

Homemade Popcorn Salad

Here you go people- the mysterious Popcorn Salad . . .


Popcorn Salad is one of the most interesting dishes I have ever had. Be warned- it is not healthy. Salad maybe be a bit of a misnomer- like potato salad. But is was quite good. Better than I expected. (Thanks for making it Grandma! Thanks for ordering it Grandpa!)

This recipe comes from Grandma. She is pretty good at picking out the good ones. Here she is chopping celery.

Popcorn Salad
  • 3/4 C mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 C chopped celery
  • 1 1/4 C shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 3/4 C crumbled bacon
  • 6 C popped popcorn (air popped is better)
  • Optional add-ins we did not have on hand- 8 oz water chestnuts (chopped)
    and 2 Tbsp chopped chives
Directions
  1. Set measured popcorn aside.
  2. Combine Mayonnaise, sugar, celery, 1 cup cheese, 1/2 cup bacon together and mix well. Add chestnuts and chives if using.
  3. Mix with popcorn right before serving and sprinkle remaining bacon and cheese on top.
    (This salad does not hold well at all. Maybe 15-25 minutes max. So don't mix the popcorn in until you are really ready to eat it.)
  4. Enjoy. You will not be disappointed.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Wow...what an odd combination. I love it. I'd never thought of it before, but it looks delicious!

Lucy Marie said...

Wow you are all about sharing the strangest combos of food, aren't you? First cantaloup and tuna and now this?

This is why I love you.

Emily said...

Oh yum yum! I will have to try this sometime.

Jean Stockdale said...

Wow-I have never heard of anything like that. I love popcorn so I think I would like it!

I am out blog hopping and came across yours. I am hosting a carnival tomorrow on 5 Things Friday on 5 Favorite Summer Activities. I am thinking you have lots to do out there in Colorado. Join us if you can! Blessings.

Kristin said...

WEIRD! Will have to try it soon. It reminds me of seven layer salad, only instead of lettuce there's popcorn.

My name is PJ. said...

This is a riot! You go, Grandma!