Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Homemade Buttermilk Panacakes and Funnel Cakes

Thanks to Meredith at La Buena Vida, I had a huge craving for pancakes with peanut butter this weekend.

We were out of mix so decided to try some. To be honest- I cannot for the life of me remember where I got the recipe. But oh well- they were too salty anyway. Perhaps our buttermilk is different? We used the powdered stuff that you add water too. I don't know. But when you covered the pancake in peanut butter and syrup- the salt factor disappeared and only the yum factor remained.


Chris was not as pleased with the pancakes as I was, so he made Homemade Funnel Cakes this weekend too. Chris LOVES funnel cakes. Every time we go to a fair or carnival he always scopes out the funnel cakes.

Chris wanted full credit for the funnel cakes on the blog- just so you know. This was all him.

I found the recipe though.

Homemade Funnel Cakes
from Heavenly Homemakers

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 tbsp sugar or sucanat
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • Oil for frying (I used up some canola oil)
  • powdered sugar for sprinkling
Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients well.
  2. Place in a bag with cake decorating tips like so: Or just try to push is through a funnel.
  3. Heat an electric skillet to 350 degrees, and squirt mix into hot oil.
  4. Cook on both sides for about a minute or two.
  5. Sprinkle with sugar and enjoy!

11 comments:

Emily said...

Yummmmm

Rose said...

OMG...funnel cakes?? Those look awesome!

I love Shawn Johnson too! :o) This was the first time I've ever seen her in person even though we technically live in the same town!!

SnoWhite said...

the funnel cakes look great :) sorry your pancakes didn't turn out the best -- but now you have a new recipe to try!

Katie said...

oh my goodness, those pancakes look yummy and I'm so impressed you attempted funnel cakes on your own! I tend to leave that to the carnival :)

xo
k

Meredith said...

Yeah, I've heard the powdered Buttermilk is more salty!

I always do the PB on waffles, but I will have to try it on pancakes too!

Lucy Marie said...

Yum! I love funnel cakes with powdered sugar on them. So delicious. Something tells me I'm going to have to make these soon.

Lucy Marie said...

P.S. You are not a stalker. I have definitely read every single post you have ever written. Twice. :D

Emily said...

I love funnel cakes.. if your ever in Tennessee and you go to Dollywood.. they make THE BEST funnel cakes.

Brittany Ann said...

Funnel cakes? I was just over at another blog salivating over churros! I think you all are trying to kill me! (But I love it:)

My name is PJ. said...

Funnel cakes bring the sights, sounds, and smells of the county fair to me - fun memories!

Mandy said...

Tell Chris that I am totally with him on the funnel cakes. That's the first thing I go get when I'm at a fair. :)