Friday, August 14, 2009

Homemade Apple- Pear Sauce

Remember when I said that we received a ton of apples and that I was going to make more apple butter and take pictures? Well, I was wrong. Sorry. I did not make more apple butter. After looking at all 6 cups of apple butter, I realized that I had more than enough to last us for a year. (Don't worry Lucy Marie- I will post the apple butter recipe tomorrow.)

However, I do use a lot of applesauce in baking so I decided to make the remaining 24 apples and 10 pears into Apple-Pear Sauce.

When I looked online- everyone (I mean everyone) said not to use Granny Smith Apples for applesauce because it wouldn't be sweet enough.

But I did it anyway- gotta go with what you got, right?

I don't know if it was the pears or the tablespoon of sugar I added- but the applesauce is perfectly sweet. I buy unsweetened applesauce from the store- so maybe the applesauce I know is not as sweet as the stuff people we talking about online. Whatever the case- I successfully made nearly 14 cups of Apple-Pear Sauce yesterday- with the forbidden Granny.

Tada!

However, like the apple butter, I did not take any pictures. I really don't think you want to see pictures of beige blobs in a pot, then in the Cuisinart, and then in cans. Sorry to disappoint, but pureed apples are just not that pretty or photogenic.

Homemade Apple-Pear Sauce
from me, Betty and the Internet

Ingredients

for every 4 apples/pears add:
  • 1/2 C water
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
Directions
  1. Peel, core and cut apples.
  2. Cut and core pears.
  3. Place with water and sugar in an appropriately sized pot and boil until tender.
  4. Pulverize in a food processor until it looks like applesauce.
  5. Cool and refrigerate for up to a week or process in cans.

11 comments:

Katie said...

You should come follow mine too, this way we can keep in touch ;)

xo
k

Ashlie Swanson said...

I think you should not get your PhD anymore and be a chef!!!! I feel like I'm watching the cooking channel when I read your blog, it all looks so good!!!

Taryn said...

Just had to stop by and say hi. Cool name. ;)

SnoWhite said...

that sounds really good.

Callista said...

i was thinking of you canned peaches in light syrup to make pear sauce. you think that would work?

Meredith said...

I always forget how easy it is to make applesauce :)

~*~Kate~*~ said...

That looks yummy. I love apple sauce and I really should make some this year.

Lucy Marie said...

You can send me some of your apple butter if you've got too much. I promise I will take good care of it. I have a bunch of plums I want to do some canning with - any suggestions as to what I might do?

Brittany Ann said...

Homemade applesauce is one of my favorite dishes! We even eat it hot around here!

Taryn said...

Lucy Marie: I made plum jam a few years ago and it was really really good. Do you eat jam?

My name is PJ. said...

Did you ever leave it a little chunky? That's the way I like it best!