(well, I have never had apple butter before this- so I have no idea if this is how it is supposed to taste . . . but it tastes good.)
(Also- I used Granny Smith apples- so if you use a sweeter variety of apples, maybe cut down on the sugar. It is plenty sweet.)
from Betty Crocker
- 12 medium granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 1/4 C apple juice
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cloves (I used ginger instead)
- In a large dutch oven heat all ingredients until boiling- then simmer for about an hour.
- Mash the apples with a potato masher.
- Simmer a bit longer- until you have the desired consistency. Betty says to simmer for an hour more- but if you live at altitude or in the desert, about 20 minutes will do.
- Cool and store for up to three weeks, or process into cans.