Saturday, August 15, 2009

Homemade Apple Butter- For Lucy Maire

Here you are Lucy Marie. The best recipe for Apple Butter ever!

(well, I have never had apple butter before this- so I have no idea if this is how it is supposed to taste . . . but it tastes good.)

(Also- I used Granny Smith apples- so if you use a sweeter variety of apples, maybe cut down on the sugar. It is plenty sweet.)

Apple Butter
from Betty Crocker

Ingredients
  • 12 medium granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into pieces
  • 1 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 C apple juice
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp allspice
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp cloves (I used ginger instead)
Directions
  1. In a large dutch oven heat all ingredients until boiling- then simmer for about an hour.
  2. Mash the apples with a potato masher.
  3. Simmer a bit longer- until you have the desired consistency. Betty says to simmer for an hour more- but if you live at altitude or in the desert, about 20 minutes will do.
  4. Cool and store for up to three weeks, or process into cans.
Enjoy!

7 comments:

SnoWhite said...

sounds good. I've never had apple butter either. The recipe is similar to applesauce...., but finer, I'm sure.

how does one eat apple butter?

Lucy Marie said...

You make my world go round! Thank you thank you thank you for posting this recipe. The only thing you could have done better would be to come to my house bearing gifts of apple butter.

We have a few apple trees in the orchard and you better believe this is what I'll be doing with the first round of them!

By the way -- you and SnoWhite are both crazy people -- you've NEVER had apple butter before?? Obviously, you aren't Canadian. Except I'm not sure that Canadians really eat that much apple butter. Maybe it's just me.

Kristen said...

I'm making beer butt chicken tonight!!!! Hopefully it goes well!

S. said...

do you have to have a dutch oven? I am not sure I understand how to simmer the ingredients...

Taryn said...

S.: You just need a standard pot/pan. Whatever you cook your pasta in- you know? I have a dutch oven now- but I didn't for a couple of years- and just used a pot. It worked perfectly fine.

My name is PJ. said...

So, are you secretly Taryn Crocker or Taryn Childs - the great granddaughter of some chef-fy type? I bet your whole family, every generation, cooks well!

Emily said...

Oh you are my favorite. This looks fabulous.