Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Black Bean Brownies

Just do it. You will not regret it.

Black Bean Brownies
from Finding Joy in My Kitchen

Ingredients
  • 1 can (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 eggs
  • 1.5 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1.5 T applesauce
  • 1/4 C cocoa powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 C brown sugar (I would maybe do more sugar- these were not that sweet.)
  • 1/2 C chocolate chips (I used peanut butter chocolate chip swirl)
Directions
  1. Spray a 7 x 11 or 8 x 8 pan.
  2. Puree your beans, eggs, applesauce and oil together. Make sure they are really well pureed- you don't want anyone getting a bit of bean in their brownie!
  3. Mix in the remaining ingredients (leave the chocolate chips out).
  4. Pour into greased pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Test for done-ness with a toothpick.
I know you may be skeptical about these brownies- but here is what 5 of us did to them in one sitting . . .
Enjoy!

14 comments:

Kayla said...

Wow, I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try that! haha I hate beans though, so maybe that's why! Looks like everyone enjoyed them though.

Emily said...

Really? I'm a little scared. But I trust you. Does this make them monumentally healthier than other brownies?

La Nouvelle Femme said...

Interesting. Do the beans give it a different texture??

Lucy Marie said...

I'm glad you tried them and, even more so, that you loved them.

Sarah said...

I don't know if I can do that! They look yummy and all, but Black beans and chocolate? I am afraid!

SnoWhite said...

so glad you enjoyed them! oh, I bet the flavored chocolate chips made them excellent!

love the nearly-finished pan photo :)

Emily said...

Sounds disgusting... but looks delicious! Might have to give it a try.

Adie said...

This is the craziest thing I have ever seen! I will try it because I LOVE Brownies. hmm brownies. This seems much healthier than regular brownies. I don't do skinny jeans either mostly because of my love for brownies. haha

Mandy said...

I can attest that these brownies are amazing! Thanks for sharing them with me, Taryn. :)

Kristi said...

I have made cake with baked beans before and you wouldn't even have known that they were in there. I will have to try this one sometime.

Rae said...

Blending/pureeing seems crucial to me. I still have memories of little bits of beans in the brownies my sister made 10+ years ago. But I agree with the other comments that these look good.

Brittany Ann said...

Weird....but I'd try'em!

Megan said...

Hm.. I'm nervous, but I think I atleast need to give it a shot. I need to save this post and try them sometime!

My name is PJ. said...

BUT - did you fart?