Sunday, July 19, 2009

Swim Shirt = AWESOME

Yesterday Chris and I did something amazing and awesome. We went on a real boat on a real lake . . . in the Colorado Desert! Seriously.

Some friends from our recreation kickball league (really, is there any other kind of kickball league?) invited us out on their boat for the day. It was good fun.

I got to swim, ride around fast in a boat while gazing a the mountains, lust after the houses that get to see water and mountain everyday and even knee board for a second before the boat broke. Chris says I broke the boat with the massive load I put on the engine. Thanks Chris.

Here we are swimming- but what is it that I am wearing?

My Swim Shirt! Last year, after going to Hawaii I bought a swim shirt. They are also called Rash Guards- surfers wear to avoid rashes from the wax and sand on the boards. I do not surf- so I am not trying to avoid a rash- I am trying to avoid the sun- and lucky for me swim shirts come with SPF in them and that is why I bought one.

I wear it every time I go swimming now. But until yesterday, I had only tested it in MN- where there is plenty of atmosphere to block the sun's rays.

Yesterday I spent 5 hours in the Colorado cloudless sky, water reflecting the sun, and with absolutely no shade. I put sunscreen on my face and hands a few times, but never did not put sunscreen on my body- just put on my shirt. It is amazing. I am not even a little burned. At all.

(Okay- I am a little pink- but that is from the 30 minutes I spent in the morning, in partial shade trying to get the boat into the water. The pink line is follows my tank top perfectly.)

Sick. I love my swim shirt. If you do not tan- or just want to forgo rubbing greasy chemicals on your body every time you swim- get a swim shirt.

I just had to share this photo- Becky was trying to take our picture and look what Chris did- he dunked me! Doesn't he look happy?

7 comments:

Emily said...

1) What lake were you at? I want to go there...
2) Where can I become friends with your friends, I want friends with a boat...
3) Love the idea behind a swim shirt, not sure I could put it into practice. I'm just all about cute swimsuits.
4) I'm so glad you found water (and still want to know where you found water you can swim in)!

Taryn said...

1) We went to Boyd Lake in Loveland.
2) They were very open to meeting new people- email me if you are serious.
3)I know the feeling- I hate to put it on over my cute suit- but oh well.
4) me too!

My name is PJ. said...

Taryn, it looks like so much fun! Love the idea of the swim shirt. The older you get, the more concerned about the sun's rays you get!

a H.I.T. said...

I'm suposed to wear one of those - derm's orders...

Meredith said...

I'm all about keeping un-burnt, though my big question is whether or not the swim shirts are HOT.

Lucy Marie said...

Looks like fun.

Priscilla said...

Those are great suites! What an awesome idea. Did you know they make them for kids now? You can find them everywhere. I got Hazel a regular swimsuit (the alligator one in her pics) and it even has SPF in it. Sweet!