Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Microwave Peanut Brittle


While home for my sister's wedding and the 4th of July, I was summoned to help Grandma make Peanut Brittle for Grandpa. Grandma didn't need me, but it was sure nice to cook by her side and learn how to make this delicious dessert. Thanks grandma and grandpa. However, my waistline does not thank you. = )

Microwave Peanut Brittle
From Grandma Andersen

Here is the recipe.

If you can't read it, I will transpose it here. You are lucky.

Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup Corn Syrup or Brown Rice Syrup
  • 1 Cup raw peanuts
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1 tsp baking soda
Directions
  1. Mix sugar, syrup, peanuts and salt together. Microwave for 4 minutes on high. After the 4 minutes, stir once.
  2. Place back in microwave and heat for 3-5 minutes on high until it starts to brown a bit.
  3. Add vanilla and butter, stir and then microwave for 1-2 more minutes.
  4. Stir in baking soda.
  5. Then quickly transfer to greased cookie sheet.
  6. As it cools, try to stretch it out so it is thin.
  7. Cool and break into pieces.
Note: Please be careful. The brittle is going to be VERY hot out of the microwave.

10 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

I am drooling.

Meredith said...

So much easier than I would have expected!

Danielle said...

That looks GOOOD! I'm definitely going to try that after we move and unpack all of our kitchen stuff.

Emily said...

I LOVE peanut brittle. That sure does look tasty! Aren't grandma's the best!?!?

My name is PJ. said...

This looks so simple to do and my father-in-law will enjoy it!

Kayla said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun! You've been MIA lately! haha It looks delicious, but I don't think I could ever make it!

Sarah said...

Delish! I had no idea you could make that in a microwave!

Kristen said...

our hotel was in Aurora. Then we did Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge, Red Rock.... we were a busy crew!

Shaina said...

Oh my gosh! This looks amazing. And...you make it in the microwave? Can it GET any better???!!!

Adie said...

Wow! I love brittle. Your post about cooking with your grandma remind me of being a kid and going to the UP with my grandparents and making nocchi and other things with my grandma. I too can make a dish rag thanks to my grandma. Glad you had fun!