Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lemon Blueberry Bread


Mmhm, fresh blueberries! Gotta love summer. Here is a splendid way to use your summer bounty- make blueberry bread. It is amazing.

However- do not forget to put in baking powder. I almost forgot.

The bread was in the oven when I remembered I didn't add the baking powder. So I did what any good baker does and I took it back out, added baking soda and put it back in the oven. I don't know if my mishap is why the bread was kinda small-but it was still delicious!

Lemon Blueberry Bread
adapted from Finding Joy in My Kitchen

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 C sugar or succant
  • 1/4 C butter, softened
  • 1/4 C applesauce
  • 1/2 C lemon juice (or lemonade)
  • 1 egg (Snow white added 1 egg white- I did not)
  • 1 C blueberries
Directions
  1. Cream butter and sugar. Then add applesauce.
  2. Add Egg and mix well.
  3. Add flour, salt and baking powder- alternating with lemon juice. Stir until moist.
  4. Stir in Blueberries.
  5. Pour into a greased bread pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Snow white suggested adding a lemon glaze on the top- I think that would be phenomenal- but we devoured this bread before I could make a glaze. = )

8 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

You are my freakin' hero.

Yesterday I made brownies and forgot the vanilla. Pulled them out, threw it into the pan, mixed them up a bit and back in it went :D

Emily said...

Lemon and blueberry alone makes is sound so good!

Snow White said...

awesome! I have done that sooo many times -- that's what happens when I'm distracted in the kitchen ;)

glad it worked with the whole wheat flour -- that might have been why it didn't raise as much -- but I'm sure it was tasty.

Adie said...

Looks amazing as always!! I can't wait to try this one. Do you have a recipe for whole wheat bread?

Adie said...

You are so awesome! So you mix all 3 types together and use them in place of all purpose flour? Di you look at the $5 tickets? They had a bunch for shows at the Ogden Theatre, Gothic Theatre and a few for the Filmore. Thank you again!

Lyryn said...

Looks just amazing!!!

My name is PJ. said...

Another GREAT one! I will have Chef Stu make it for us. You asked about "Canard". I use it because I'm a wise-ass. No other reason. :)

Hi, Lane said...

Thanks for this! I'll take any & all your blueberry recipes!! My parents go to a church that has a food bank & when they have to get rid of the food, to get fresher food, they give it to the congregation. My mom came home with three large bags of frozen blueberries. Frozen isn't my first choice, but they were free! So short of making 928 blueberry smoothies, I need to get to baking!