I decided to try Chocolate Chips again- seeing as my previous ones couldn't be out of the freezer for more than a few minutes before melting into a gooey mess.
This time I followed a recipe from Heavenly Homemakers. She has super good step by step instructions here if mine are too confusing.
These turned out pretty well. They don't taste as good as my first ones- they are a little more bitter. But that might end up being good for adding to cookies and such. These must be kept in the refrigerator right now, but in the winter I might be able to keep them in the pantry. We'll see.
Homemade Chocolate Chips
from Heavenly Homemakers
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar or sucanat
- 1 cup coconut oil or butter
- 1 T. vanilla
- Mix cocoa powder and sugar.
- Place oil and vanilla into jar.
- Place jar into a sauce pan of water. I placed mine on some canning lids- but Heavenly Homemake just put the jar in the pan.
- Heat on medium high heat for quite some time (20-25 minutes) until the sugar has dissolved. Stir frequently.
- When disolved, pour chocolate mixture into a parchment paper lined baking pan. Place in the refridgeratior to cool. (Not all of my sugar completly disolved - and neither did Heavenly Homemaker's so I guess that is ok. I might try to fix that next time somehow.)
- When cool, break into pieces and enjoy!