Thursday, June 25, 2009

Strawberry Bread

Well, we are (hopefully) off to Minnesota by now. I will leave you with this delicious recipe and a promise to try to keep up with blog world. However, in reality, I hope to spend as much time as possible at the cabin (which is a internet free zone). But I will miss you all. Have a great 4th of July if I don't see you until then!

Strawberry Bread
When we had more strawberries than I knew what to do with, I set out into the sea of internet recipes for some ideas. Unfortunately, there isn't all the much to choose from when it comes to strawberries. So I decided to try something weird- Strawberry Bread. I wasn't sure what to think of it, but after tasting this I must admit that it is a keeper. Try it out if you ever find yourself with too many strawberries. Or even if you have to go buy strawberries. This was good.

Strawberry Bread
adapted from Closet Cooking

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • Optional: 1/2 cup toasted pecans (coarsely chopped)
  • 2-3 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen)
Directions

1. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl.
2. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
3. Beat in the vanilla.
4. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in another bowl. (Or not. I never do.)
5. Mix 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the wet.
6. Mix 1/2 of the yogurt into the wet ingredients.
7. Mix 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the wet.
8. Mix the remaining yogurt into the wet ingredients.
9. Mix the remaining dry ingredients into the wet.
10. Mix in the strawberries.
11. Pour the batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
12. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown and a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean, about 60 minutes.
13. Enjoy your bread. It will be great!

4 comments:

My name is PJ. said...

We will have to try this!

Shalay said...

I gotta tell you, that picture looks like murdered, bloody bread. But it sounds freaking delicious, and I really want to try it!

Emily said...

Have fun on your trip and a have a Happy 4th!

That bread sounds and looks so good. I should try this.

Kevin said...

Your strawberry bread looks good! Have a great weekend!