Friday, June 19, 2009

Homemade Strawberry Jam

As noted, I picked lots of berries the other day. And now I have made some of them into jam!

Here is my partial step-by-step process. I couldn't take lots of pictures because Chris wasn't home to help. However, my process explanation for Homemade Honeydew Jam is more detailed. If you have any questions, just ask. Canning really isn't that hard or scary!

Homemade Strawberry Jam

Ingredients
  • about 4 lbs of washed and hulled berries
  • 1 package of pectin
  • 1 Cup 100% apple juice
  • 6-8 washed and dried half pint canning jars
  • sugar if desired
Directions
  1. Mush up the berries to your liking using a potato masher. (If no potato masher, I used a Foley Fork with much success.)
  2. Combine fruit, juice and pectin together. Bring to a boil that cannot be stirred down.
  3. Add sugar is desired. (I added 1/2 Cup sugar for good measure.) Bring back to a boil for 3 minutes.
  4. Ladle into warmed jars from simmering saucepan.
  5. Tighten lid (not too tight) and turn over to help heat stay in to seal the jars.
  6. Pick up the disaster area you made in less than 10 minutes of fun.
  7. Let it cool and you will have a delicious jam!
(See how mine have that white in them? that is because I suck at scooping the foam off the top. Grandma always gets the foam off- but not me. Sorry.)

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Garth would love this, I must make this for him! Thanks for sharing friend!

Lucy Marie said...

Yum! Now I know what you can give me for Christmas. :D

Snow White said...

nice work! I never thought about using apple juice as a sweetener!

Emily said...

Looks very easy! I have never canned before. Might need to try one day!

My name is PJ. said...

You make it all look so easy!