Friday, June 12, 2009

Homemade Furniture Polish (Pledge)

We had some friends over for dinner last night (recipe to follow soon) but before they could come, I needed to clean and dust like a mad woman.

I started to clear the table to give it a good shine with my trusty Pledge, only to find that it was empty. Only air was coming out. Uh oh.

I didn't have any way to get to the store without it being a hour long trip, so I decided to try and make some. I had read about it a few times while researching other homemade cleaners such as dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent and glass cleaner.

I quick pulled up some bookmarked links and made some pretty decent furniture polish.

Furniture Polish
from here
  • One part lemon juice
  • Two parts olive oil

Mix together. I dabbed a rag with the polish and then rubbed the rag onto the table.


But it was streaking a bit- so I did like the website suggested and wiped the table with a clean rag. The streaks went away!

However, I am not sure you need to wipe it down with a clean rag. It might just take some time to dry (like the glass cleaner). The reason being- when I did the chairs, I didn't wipe them down, and they were not streaked afterward. But they are also not as flat. So yeah- I don't really know.

But the polish did a great job. The table looks shiny and dust free!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Nice job. I hardly ever use furniture polish, I just dust with a clean went rag. But I'm thinking there must be a reason why people use furniture polish, I'll have to look into it!

Lucy Marie said...

Nice. I just finished cleaning my house and noticed that my furniture polish is running low. I'll have to try this when it runs out. I have to dust like every 52 seconds because we live in the basement of an old farm house with a dog ... it gets so dusty!

My name is PJ. said...

Another handy tip! Thanks!!

Lucy Marie said...

P.S. This has nothing to do with furniture polish BUT .. I just got your comment on my thesis proposal post and I'm finding it interesting that you say you're rethinking your career goals ... what are they? You can e-mail me if you feel like telling me about it :D

Shalay said...

The table looks great! I'll have to try some of these DIY home cleaners sometime...

Kelsey said...

Funny how this recipe is so similar to the salmon recipe from yesterday! Haha. :)