Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Homemade Chocolate Chips


I love chocolate chips. LOVE them. But the chocolate chips that we buy (in bulk) have some weird stuff in them, so I decided to try to make my own. After searching around, I found this recipe.

I am not so sure I would call it a success, but it is not a total failure either. Sure, I can't take the chocolate chips out of the freezer for more than a few minutes before they melt, but they sure taste amazing. Seriously.

To make these, I needed to buy coconut oil. I needed some more oil, so instead of my regular stuff, I thought, "I'll try something new," and went out in search of coconut oil. Well, let me tell you- coconut oil is not a liquid. It is a solid white mass. It looks like this.


Weird. I know.
But mighty tasty (and I don't even like coconut!)

Homemade Chocolate Chips
from Oh She Glows
  • 2 Tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 4 T honey (you could use any liquid sweetener)
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions
  1. Mix together ingredients. (I microwaved it for a few seconds to melt the oil and make it easier to stir.)
  2. Roll mixture flat onto a lined cookie sheet or cutting board and freeze for 30-45 minutes until solid.
  3. Cut into pieces and store in fridge or freezer in a airtight container.

4 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

Wow, girl. You have gone and done it again. Amazing. By the way, I got motivated by you and went and picked a 7 lb basket of strawberries last night. I just don't think I have enough motivation to make jam though .. we don't even really eat jam. I think I will just eat them fresh and pop the rest in the freezer for baking/smoothies etc. throughout the year.

Also, I left something for you on my blog.

♥Brandy said...

You are so creative!!

My name is PJ. said...

How on earth do you come up with this stuff? I swear I never heard anyone say, "I think I'll make my own chocolate chips"! I told you you should offer more recipes!! Excellent!

Rose said...

Did you know you can also eat coconut oil plain because it has tons of health benefits? I think you can use it also as a lotion too!

You are too creative!!