Monday, June 22, 2009

Homemade Cheeze-its Sticks


I got this recipe from Smitten Kitchen with the promise of a Cheeze-Its/Cheese Poofs/Cheez Doodle combo. When I gave one to Chris without telling him what it was he remarked, "Hmm, This tastes like a Cheeze-It. What is it?" Success!

Seriously- make these. They are so easy and so good!

Homemade Cheeze-its Sticks
adapted from Smitten Kitchen - Cheese Straws

Ingredients
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 C grated cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 Cup whole wheat flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 Tbsp milk
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. In a food processor, combine the cheese, butter, flour, salt and in five 5-second pulses until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the half-and-half and process until the dough forms a ball, about 10 seconds (more for me).

3. Roll the dough into an 8- by 10-inch rectangle that is 1/8-inch thick. With a sharp knife (or a pizza cutter), cut the dough into thin 8-inch strips, each 1/4- to 1/3-inch wide. Gently transfer the strips to an ungreased cookie sheet (though I greased mine), leaving at least 1/4-inch between them.

4. Bake the straws on the middle rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the ends are barely browned. Remove from the oven and set the cookie sheet on a rack to cool.

5. Serve at room temperature.


6 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

yum-o!

Meredith said...

Ohhh...these look YUMMY, and super easy!

Snow White said...

delicious! I bet the milk/half-and-half helps them to stick together... my recipe was delicious, but fell apart. I'll give these a try next time!

Rae said...

Yum, yum, yum. Shall I hate you, or shall I be mature, that is the question...

Totally coming back to these when I return to dairy.

Jennifer said...

Yum, printing the recipe as I type. : )

ticklishfromadistance said...

These look soooooo good! I am going to try them.