Thursday, June 4, 2009

DIY Jean Skirt

We are off to Boston! Thank you for all of your kind words and great advice! I'll bring you back some pictures (I hope). But until then- I want to share a super easy and awesome DIY idea- how to turn your old pants into a snazzy new skirt!

I had a favorite pair of jeans. I mean- ooh- they were perfect! But then, after 6 good years they got a hole in the knee. They just don't make 'em like they used to.


I thought I was looking pretty Abecrombie, but the kids I nanny for told me it wasn't working so I decided to try my hand at repurpose-ing my faves into a skirt.

I looked online, and found some good advice. I used a combo of my own lazy alterations and directions from here. Check it out.

I will give you an abbreviated version on my blog just for fun.
  1. Cut your pants at the desired length. Obviously I cut mine just above my hole.
  2. Then rip out the seam in the inside of the leg. This might take awhile. It took me a long time. Also, rip out the seams up to the zipper and midway up the behind.
  3. Then pin the seams together in the front, so it is straight. You will most likely have to trim some off the front to make it even.
  4. Then pin the skirt in the back. I left mine with a little slit in the back so I could move freely. (And maybe to be a little scandalous . . .)
  5. Then sew! Make sure you are using strong thread and a stronger needle. Or not. But watch out for breaking needles!
  6. Then trim off the extra on the inside.
  7. Next, I noticed that due to my scandalous slit, I had a very uneven skirt in the back. I debated whether to measure it or just eyeball it while cutting. I knew that I needed to leave it a little longer in the back to leave room for, umm, you know, my rear, but I didn't know how much room it would need. In the end, I just went at it and left a few centimeters.
  8. Finally, I trimmed the bottom edge of my skirt to prevent it from fraying until it was truly risque.
  9. And Tada! My new favorite skirt!

7 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

wow that is quite impressive.

Meredith said...

The color of the skirt looks TOTALLY different in the bottom two pics--it threw me a little!

I remember making these skirts all the time in high school.

Danielle said...

That's awesome. I usually end up turning them into cutoffs because that's about the extent of my skills.

P.S. love the new header picture & Boston is my absolute favorite city. Enjoy!!

a H.I.T. said...

What a great idea!

Angie said...

Nice job! Now... I challenge you to make a skirt into pants.

My name is PJ. said...

You are so clever! I have to tell you that in the late 60's and early 70's (heavily influenced by Woodstock and Monterey Pop, etc) this was THE COOL THING TO DO...along with (get this) taking extra fabric and sewing to the bottom of your bell-bottom pants...and I mean fabric that may have nothing at all to do with denim. There! Your history lesson for today! :)

Adie said...

Your scandalous slit totally made me laugh!