Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Olympic Cookies

Olympic Cookies= the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies ever!


These are called Olympic Cookies because they have come to me through a former 4 time Olympian and she jotted down the recipe for me on an notepad with the slogan, "USA 2002: It's Not Every Four Years. It's Every Day." So yeah- they are Olympic Cookies in our house and they are seriously fantastic. Their goodness is partially because they have a hint of that sweet and salty combination that drives me mad.

I will only give you the recipe if you promise not to mess with the ingredients. I know when I take recipes from others I (almost) always change them. I often change the recipe to fit the ingredients I have at home, or because of our personal tastes, or even to make the dish healthier. But please- please, please, please- don't try to make these healthier by adding less sugar, omitting the salt, adding a Tbsp of olive oil in place of 1 Tbsp butter, or adding 1/2 applesauce to replace 1/2 the butter; they just won't be the same. If you change them (as I have tried many times (I have tried all of the healthier changes mentioned above)) they are not the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I mean, they will still be good- but not the best. So you have been warned- please don't hold me accountable if you choose to make 'em and mess with 'em and they are not the best cookies you have ever had. However, if you do make them as the Olympian suggests, I will take full responsibility for hyping the cookies up to more than any cookie could ever be.


Without further ado . . .

Olympic Cookies
from an anonymous friend

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 C butter (mostly melted)
  • 1/4 C plus 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/4 C plus 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Cup Oats (preferably Quick Oats)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 C plus 2 Tbsp Whole Wheat Flour (or regular Flour)
  • 1 C Chocolate Chips
Directions:
  1. Mix butter, sugar and vanilla together.
  2. Add egg and mix well.
  3. Add Oats, salt and baking soda; mix well.
  4. Add flour and mix well.
  5. Add chocolate chips and mix.
  6. Drop by rounded tablespoons on cookie sheet and bake at 375 for around 11 minutes (sometimes we do as little as 8 minutes).
  7. Clean up the inevitable mess you have made in your kitchen while you enjoy your fresh cookies!

15 comments:

*claire* said...

this is perfect timing! oatmeal choc chip are my husband's favorite cookie - and his birthday is friday and i was going to make him some! these will inevitably be better than the break and bake ones i was planning!

Sarah said...

Okay, you are officially invited over to dinner sometime this week. But only if you bring these cookies!!!!

Taryn said...

Sarah: Hurray! Lets do it!

Lisa said...

These look amazing. I must make them immediately. :)

Sarah said...

YUM! How did you know that Oatmeal Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite??

Jen K said...

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip are my favorite! I remember as a kid mistaking oatmeal raisin for oatmeal chocolate chip, and I was unhappily surprised. One day I will make these myself, until then I'll just live vicariously through you!

Snow White said...

amazing. those sound very similar to my hubby's version -- but that dough convinced me next time I make cookies we'll have to try this one (without tampering with the recipe).

Mandy said...

Ohh, Taryn, you've made me so hungry now!! These are seriously some of my favorite cookies ever! :)

Jennifer said...

YUM!! I love oatmeal cookies!! I'm going to make some of those for my Mom when I go visit her this weekend!!

Emily said...

Oh yummy! I've been in the mood to make some cookies... maybe I will give these a try soon!

Kristi said...

I can't wait to try making these. I will have to go to the store tomorrow so I can make sure I have the RIGHT ingredients. :o)
Thanks for sharing!

Rae said...

So glad that I have all of the ingredients for these! I promise not to change a thing.

My name is PJ. said...

For someone like me, this post was sabotage! OOOOH the scrump-tu-lisity of it all!!!

Lisa said...

Um, I made these last night. They are absolutely amazing! thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

fiona said...

Thanks for sharing! I just made a batch, using marg instead of butter (eep! sorry) and they turned out very nicely.