Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I really think I might hate you Earl . . .

Who is Earl? Earl is the Squirrel.

We met Earl last summer. He came and laid in the sun on our balcony. So cute, right?

Right. That is until we came home to find this:

Earl the Squirrel in the kitchen-


Courtesy of this hole he ate through the screen.


What a fiasco. Once we got home, Earl did not want to be there anymore (maybe he likes to live alone).

However, Earl couldn't find his hole in the screen. While screaming at us in his squirrel language, poor Earl kept running into the screen and bouncing off, jumping back into the open pantry, over the fridge, and onto the counter all while pooping. We were literally scaring the poop out of him.

Chris and I opened all the doors to try to get the guy outside, but ended up hitting the screen with the broom to make the screen fall out.


Earl quickly vacated the premises, and we were left with the two day task of taking everything out of the pantry, tossing anything open that might have been touched, cleaning the shelves and the food on the shelves, bleaching the counters and EVERYTHING that stupid squirrel might have touched.

The only reason I share this story with you is because . . .

Earl came back.

Seriously. This morning, I saw him on the balcony and immediately tried to scare him away. Not so cute anymore Earl. I opened the door and lunged at him. He left.

So I sat back down to work on my pathetic resume. But guess what?

Earl came back. Again.

Only this time, he was on the patio chair, SCRATCHING THE SCREEN!

I heard his scratches and jumped up, bounded to the kitchen and hit the screen. Earl instantly left, but when I turned around this is what I found for myself.


Thanks Earl. Even when you don't come inside, there is a mess for me to clean up.


Apparently, I was so animated as I ran to the window, I hit my hanging pot of baby spider plants and broke some leaves off another plant. I didn't even know that I had hit the pot. How crazy is that?

I had learned not to have any tables by the side of the house for Earl to stand on, but I had no idea Earl would balance on the arm of a chair and stretch to reach the window. I have since moved the chair so Earl can't possibly reach, but who knows.

Really Earl, I think I might strongly dislike you . . .

23 comments:

S. said...

oh man that is crazy! haha

Angie said...

Whoa! You were quite aggressive and frantic about him, weren't you? He's probably blogging about the crazy lady who destroyed her own house when she spied him peeking innocently into the window. ;)

In college, we had a squirrel named Quaker who would climb up and down our screens. We named him Quaker because we fed him Quaker granola bars all of the time. Hmm. I guess we're lucky he never got in. We stopped feeding him after awhile, but a few months later, a huge 20 lb. rock was thrown through our window, shattering the glass and breaking everything in its path. We didn't realize how strong Quaker was. I suppose the moral of the story is to watch out. Earl might start chucking things through the window to get his way.

Sarah said...

Wow! I cannot believe you grabbed your camera with a live squirrel hanging out in your kitchen!

*claire* said...

wow! good luck with that one....

a H.I.T. said...

What a crazy squirrel...maybe you should call animal patrol to take him away next time? Hopefully he won't come back though!

Brittany Ann said...

Oh my! That's like me when we had a mice problem! Aren't they cute, in theory and outside? I hate when animals like that get in my house! You were a brave a woman!

Snow White said...

crazy! i thought having bees in my apartment were bad... Earl is definitely worse. best of luck getting rid of him!

Lucy Marie said...

HA HA! I'm sorry for laughing at your misfortune but that is quite funny. Maybe Earl likes your cooking and is just hoping for an invitation to dinner?

AprilMarie said...

Earl must like you ;). I can't imagine any other reason why that crazy little animal would constantly be on your patio, waiting to come in. And now that he finally has... he'll always feel he has a place there. Watch out. Haha.

Yankee Wife said...

My word. Earl's gotta go. I'm with 'ya on that one. I'm feelin' for 'ya with the cleanup too. And who knew it takes so long to disinfect and clean out a kitchen? We found that out the hard way with mice. Ugh. I hope you don't have to clean up anymore :)

dave johnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dave johnson said...

This reminds me of a song you might want to take to heart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GovJ4jAnr14

Kim said...

Oh my god... The hubs and I are laughing so hard at the picture of Earl on your pantry trim.

But, I would not be laughing if that little creature was in my house. Eeek!

Meredith said...

Holy crapola! That would scare the living daylights out of me!

Eric said...

We had a squirrel in our wood stove for a few days. He fell down the chimney and wouldn't come out. If you opened the door, he'd climb a foot or so up the chimney and just hang out up there yelling at you.

Finally my wife wrapped bunches of towels around her arm and reached way up the chimney and grabbed his tail, and after about an hour of struggle, got him out. Sans about half his tail. We haven't seen him since. I guess we traumatized him.

My name is PJ. said...

B B Gun...won't kill him but will sting him and scare him. Shoot at him a few times and he'll be gone....

Shaina said...

Oh my goodness! This is some run-in with a squirrel. Whew. Those crazy animals! Be glad you don't have a dog...I know that if Earl was in my kitchen instead of yours, my kitchen would be absolute chaos because Oscar would be tearing everything up, trying to get to Earl!!!

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!! I got the creeps just looking at him in your house! Thank goodness you got him out and had your camera :)

Colleen said...

OMG that picture in the kitchen is SCARY! I would have just run out of the house!

Adie said...

Hey lady - that squirel is crazy! That is so gross and what a headache to clean. My babysitter has squirel problems the squirels hang on the screens while she is teaching the kids. She hates them.

Sorry I did not reply to your comment on my post about the baby being scared. I never know where to respond. Anyways she was scared because she vomited twice and than stopped breathing. It was very scarry for all of us.

April said...

Ha, ha! I am so not meaning to laugh, but I just can't help it. Earl is one funny little guy! LOL! He must be wanting some of these delicious looking recipes you post on here!!

My Love Bug Kids said...

OMG. I think I would have lost my poop too.

Christen said...

Oh my god! That is definitely freaky seeing a rodent in your kitchen!! My husband and I have had SO many squirrel issues. We have an older home with window AC units. Last spring/summer, we had a family of squirrels who KEPT chewing through the plastic sides of the units and making gross squirrel noises and trying to crawl into the house. We finally had to yank all the AC units out of the windows. Needless to say, it was one sweltering summer after that!

Thanks for sharing your story! Too funny! :)