Thursday, May 7, 2009

How to Hem: Example Uno

Since getting the lovely sewing machine, I have been doing all the tasks I only dreamed of doing. Like hemming pants. My pants are never the right height. I am not tall but not short either, so I have to choose between Regular which are often too long or Ankle, which make me look like I belong with the Jets in the '50s. Neither are super great options, but I usually choose to drag my pants than look like a square. However, with the machine, I don't have to have ruffed up hems anymore. I learned to hem- and I will now share it with you.

I found there are two ways to hem: the easy way and the hard way. Here is my tutorial of The Easy Way.

First iron the pants to the correct height.


Pin it.

Sew it.


End up with some pinches like this on the inside hem if the pants are flared.


And you are done!

7 comments:

Meredith said...

Very nice! I keep hearing about hemming tape or something like that, that you iron on and have a hem!

Jenna said...

Great post! Yay! I'm going to hem my black pants now (sad that I was scared to do it when it is so easy)

Snow White said...

nice work! you are quite talented.

Rae said...

I have the same problem with pants. I am not short, but I have a long torso so my legs are just a bit short for regular pants. I don't have a sewing machine but I think that I might take some pants to my sister's house to see what we can do.

My name is PJ. said...

I always hemmed by hand...and hated it. Then I grew to be tall and didn't have to do it. It would have been easier on a machine! (I still would've hated it!) :)

PLD said...

You certianly make sewing look easy!

Adie said...

We must be the same height because I have the same problem. The ankle length doesnt quite go far enough. I am going to pull my machine out and give it a test spin. Thanks!