Friday, May 8, 2009

How to Hem: Example Deux

Yesterday I showed you the Easy Way to hem; today I will show the other way to hem, which I have deemed the Hard Way. I was forced to do this method with pants where one flip on the hem wasn't going to cut it. I had a pair of nicer pants that were also too long. I used to wear them with heels, but ever since the chiropractor suggested I avoid heels to avoid aggravating my back further, I haven't worn them. Enter my wonderful sewing machine!

This method of hemming is useful for pants that are a little nicer, or when you need to hem them more or less than a simple fold at the manufacturer's hem.

The Hard Way:

First rip out the seams of your manufacturer's hem.


Then measure the desired height, cut off any excessive extra fabric and press at that height. Also, iron the raw edge of the leg under so you have a pretty inside hem.


Pin it.


Finally, sew the pants and you are done!


Not quite as clear as the Easy Way- so if you have any questions let me know. Good luck!

4 comments:

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

Oooh this was really helpful!

Thanks!!

My name is PJ. said...

Seriously, that was helpful; I've never seen it done. Even more seriously - isn't this what tailors and good drycleaners are for? :)

Taryn said...

PJ: Maybe if you are rich! = )

Kraesc said...

Thanks for the tutorials! They will be very helpful!