Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas

I know Cinco de Mayo was forever ago, but forgive me, I am a little behind. For Cinco de mayo, we had some delish quesadillas and tacos (well, actually I totally forgot it was Cinco de Mayo- Chris just wanted tacos). But we were without tortillas, so I decided to make some. Here is what happened . . .

I got the recipe from Finding Joy in My Kitchen, here.

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas

Ingredients
  • 1 C warm water
  • 1/4 C oil
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3 C Whole Wheat Flower
Directions:
  1. Mix together ingredients and knead for about 5 minutes, or until the dough gets stretchy.
  2. Let the dough sit for a few minutes and then cut the dough in half, and each half into five smaller pieces.
  3. Roll these pieces out (preferably into circles, but if you are like me, you will settle for triangles and other odd shapes).
  4. Cook on a griddle at 350 for 5-7 minutes on each side. If you do not have an electric griddle, I am sure you could do it in the oven or even on the stove. This is not a precise science by any means. You are just trying to get them a golden brown color.
  5. Enjoy with the toppings of your choice!

10 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

Would you hate me if I said I giggled a little bit when I saw the shape of your tortilla? I can never make them round either, so I use the lid of a plastic bowl and press down on the dough to make them into a circle.

Snow White said...

how did they turn out using all whole wheat?! They look scrumptious.

Kristen said...

you are so creative! They look delicious!

Emily said...

Looks yummy! You are so creative!

Brittany Ann said...

You amaze me, dear friend!

Taryn said...

Snow White: They turned out well- they are not very flexible, but that could be due to my cooking or something.

My name is PJ. said...

This was a great post for me; I eat a tortilla with my breakfast every single morning. That info is good for $500 when you play Jeopardy and hit the PJ category. :)

Meg Young said...

What a nice blog! I came over from Diva In The Midwest to check you out since you have the same name as my daughter!

As for your tortillas, I can tell you they look delicious! The trick to making them perfectly round is just practice!

Have a beautiful day!

Rae said...

Yum! I haven't made homemade tortillas in almost two years, and I must confess that I've gotten scared, even though I remember them being easy.

Kimberly said...

I've been making tortillas for awhile now and will never go back to store ones. These are so much better. Yeah, mine are rarely perfect circles--I'll have to try the bowl idea. Sometimes I just cut them into a circle shape with a knife. Usually the three year old helps roll so one never knows what shape we'll get!