Emily at Imperfect has been cooking healthier versions of your favorite Chinese food. My favorite dish is Beef with Broccoli, which she kindly made and shared for me! (Well, not really for me, but I was happy to see it!) We finally got around to making it the other day- hurray!
It was our first attempt at homemade Chinese food, and for that, I think it turned out quite well. (It was a bit vinegary for my tastes, I might take the vinegar down a bit next time. We doubled the recipe, so maybe that was part of the problem.) Here is our doubled recipe. For a detailed play by play, or a dish suitable for two, see Emily's blog post here.
Homemade Beef and Broccoli
- 1 lb sirloin cut into small slices (thanks Chris!)
- 2-3 heads of broccoli cut into little trees
- some scallions
- 4 garlic gloves minced/pressed
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp white rice vinegar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Add garlic, ginger and scallions to some oil in a non-stick pan and cook.
- Add beef and brown.
- Add broccoli and cook until tender (but not too tender- ick).
- Mix vinegar and soy sauce, add to pan and bring to boil.
- Mix cornstarch and 2 tsp water together. Add to pan and allow to thicken.
- Serve over rice. Enjoy!