Saturday, May 2, 2009

Homemade Beef and Broccoli


Emily at Imperfect has been cooking healthier versions of your favorite Chinese food. My favorite dish is Beef with Broccoli, which she kindly made and shared for me! (Well, not really for me, but I was happy to see it!) We finally got around to making it the other day- hurray!

It was our first attempt at homemade Chinese food, and for that, I think it turned out quite well. (It was a bit vinegary for my tastes, I might take the vinegar down a bit next time. We doubled the recipe, so maybe that was part of the problem.) Here is our doubled recipe. For a detailed play by play, or a dish suitable for two, see Emily's blog post here.

Homemade Beef and Broccoli
From Imperfect

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb sirloin cut into small slices (thanks Chris!)
  • 2-3 heads of broccoli cut into little trees
  • some scallions
  • 4 garlic gloves minced/pressed
  • 3 tsp ground ginger
  • 4 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 4 Tbsp white rice vinegar
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
Directions:
  1. Add garlic, ginger and scallions to some oil in a non-stick pan and cook.
  2. Add beef and brown.
  3. Add broccoli and cook until tender (but not too tender- ick).
  4. Mix vinegar and soy sauce, add to pan and bring to boil.
  5. Mix cornstarch and 2 tsp water together. Add to pan and allow to thicken.
  6. Serve over rice. Enjoy!
Be sure to check out Emily's other Chinese favorites!

9 comments:

Adie said...

Yum! I will have to make that for the fam.

It was a lot of cards but I was happy with how they turned out.

She fed the giraffe those giraffe crackers. The last time we went to the zoo she would go to bring the cracker to the giraffe and than it would start to stick out its tongue so she would throw the cracker like you would a dog treat to a dog. It was funny but this was cool too!

Snow White said...

looks great! I make ours in the crockpot... the beef gets so tender :)


As for rolling out the tortillas, I generally roll in all directions from the balls of dough, and stretch with my hands to get them round. But, today I bought a pastry mat... and it has circles (and sizes) on it! I'm thinking this is the way to go :)

Erin said...

THANK YOU! I need to branch out from stirfry and curried tofu ;-)

My name is PJ. said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Rae said...

My husband would love this! Alas, he isn't that adventurous with cooking yet, and I'm not feeling pro-meat enough to make it for him.

Emily said...

I would def. like something like this! Thanks for sharing!

My name is PJ. said...

Hey Taryn, Good luck tomorrow! You've been on the prayer list, so I know it will go well! :)

Jennifer said...

That looks delish!!! I may mix it up and use chicken instead...hehe.

Yankee Wife said...

Yum! Looks delicious - thanks for sharing.