Monday, May 18, 2009

Amish Friendship Bread


I got a friendship bread starter from a friend (imagine that). I made the bread and it was very very good- a sweet bread, almost cake-like. I would like to have given everyone is blog-land a starter, but that really isn't feasible, so instead, I will tell you how to make your own starter, and share it with others around. Exciting and friendly, right? Or you can horde all the bread for yourselves. Whatever floats your boat.

Starter Ingredients

  • 1/3 C flour
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 1/3 C milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast (I am not totally sure on this. But I think it should work.)

Starter Directions

  1. Mix all ingredients, set out on counter and stir daily for four days. It should be foamy like this.
  2. After you have your starter, add 1 C flour, 1 C sugar, and 1 C milk. Stir daily for four more (or so) days. It should be foamy again.
  3. On the 10th day you will make the bread and make the starters for others. If you want to make starters for your friends, stir 1 C flour, 1 C sugar and 1 C milk to your starter again. Then take three plastic containers and place one cup of starter in each container. Print off these instructions and share the love. If you don't want to share, just skip the extra three cup and move on.
  4. To what remains of your starter (about one cup) add 1 C oil, 1/2 C milk, 3 eggs, and 1 tsp vanilla. Then add 2 C flour, 1 C sugar, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt and (optional) 1 C nuts.
  5. Grease and sugar (sugar! I know!) two bread pans. Pour batter into pans and bake at 325 for one hour.


(P.S. Don't use metal spoons or bowls with this- you will kill the yeast.)

(P.P.S. We had a great weekend- I will hopefully post pictures later. It was very lovely- Kate is one lucky girl!)

14 comments:

Meredith said...

The idea of leaving a batter with milk sitting out on the counter for days has always creeped me out a little bit--I'm kind of weird with items that should be refrigerated. But it certainly looks yummy!

Kraesc said...

Hey! I love Amish Friendship bread! We usually put the starter in a zip lock gallon bag. Then on the days it needs to be stirred, you just mush it in the bag. It makes it easy for sharing it too... Plus sometimes when I make it, I don't share the starter, I just keep them and freeze them. Pull them out a couple days before you're going to make the bread and it works great!

Emily said...

Looks delicious. I'm loving your all of your recipes!

Priscilla said...

It is great bread, but I swear once you get stuck in the chain, it is crazy. We gave bread to everyone we know and then finally had to throw it out to stop the madness:) Good luck!

Snow White said...

amazing. I LOVE that bread.

add blueberries and cinnamon -- it makes a great bundt cake that way!

Mandy said...

I loved this bread. It was totally like doing a science experiment...except the end result was yummy. :)

Denise K. said...

Oh I too love Amish Friendship Bread! For years I tried to do my own starter mix, (I have a recipe book of all recipes from the base mix) but I could never get it to start, so I always just waited until a friend gave us some...now it must be the altitude here, as the starter mix takes off right away! SO happy to read your post and that you enjoy it too! :-)

Lucy Marie said...

I just might have to try this out!

Erin said...

This sounds really good! I'm definitely going to have to try it out. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Hi, Lane said...

Don't forget to "burp" the bag if you put them in a ziploc!! Otherwise, the air will expand & they'll explode! I baked mine in a dark loaf pan, and the center was still gooey when the outside was crisp. I'll have to try it again with the silicone loaf pan i have!

Brittany Ann said...

What a great idea!

Snow White said...

oh... stop by my blog... there's a little something there for you :)

My name is PJ. said...

Taryn, this is a WONDERFUL idea!!!!!

Angie said...

Hi Taryn! Have I commented on your blog before? I don't know. But I love it. It's so... YOU. I can hear you talking through your writing and it makes me laugh because you're funny. I'm just not a great commenter because I get so backlogged in my Google Reader! But I'm catching up and starting fresh.

ANYWAY.

I read this post the other day and it prompted me to get out a loaf that I froze a few months ago. I love, love, love Amish Friendship Bread. I knead (ha ha - actually that's not funny - kneading AFB could be disastrous) to make my own starter because Gary was sad when it was gone.