Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pasta Pie Bake- It Has Been Done!

I heard about this amazing dish from Chelsea Gwynne a few weeks ago. She said, "It must be done," and now it has. Tada!

(This is Carl- he is our friend.)

The fun part was filling the spring form pan with noodles. Chris did it for us- check out these action shots- they're intense, so brace yourselves.

Time stamp 5:59 PM


Time 6:04 PM


Time 6:09 PM


That's right- a solid 10 minutes of noodle arranging. You try it- see if you can bet him. = )

The dish itself is worth making just for the novelty of having pasta stand up by itself- but the taste was lacking a bit. Even with the dried spices I added, it didn't have much depth. I think I might use regular pasta sauce instead of crushed tomatoes next time. (Although Noble Pig makes a big deal about buying high quality tomatoes, and I didn't, so maybe that is the problem.)

Pasta Pie
Adapted from Noblepig.com
  • 1 pound rigatoni
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 pound ground turkey
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • a few tsp basil, oregano, and parsley (to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 can (28 ounces) good quality crushed tomatoes (I would use regular pasta sauce next time)
  • Butter, for pan
  • Salt
  • 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • 8 ounces coarsely grated mozzarella
Directions
  1. Cook pasta until slightly underdone. When done, rinse in cold water. Toss pasta with 1 Tablespoon olive oil to coat. Set aside.
  2. Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Add garlic, 1 teaspoon salt. Cook 2 minutes more.
  3. Add crushed tomatoes (or pasta sauce); simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes.
  4. Toss pasta with Parmesan cheese. Butter a 9-inch spring form pan. Tightly pack pasta into pan, standing each piece on end. Spread meat sauce on top of pasta.
  5. Push the meat sauce into the pasta holes filling each one up. (Ours didn't really go in the holes very well. But it was still ok.)
  6. Place in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake another 10-15 minutes until cheese is golden. Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen and then unmold.
  7. Cut into wedges and enjoy!
(I swear, I really don't wear this sweatshirt very often . . . however, it appears to be my wardrobe choice when making tomato dishes on cold days)

12 comments:

Kristen said...

it's a very interesting looking meal!

Emily said...

Thats so awesome!!!!

Lucy Marie said...

Nice. How fun! Happy Easter, enjoy the long weekend!

Snow White said...

that's pretty awesome! nice work.

Denise K. said...

MMmm...that looks delicious and fun to make!!! I will give it a try! It has been a long time since I have gotten caught up on your blog! I have much to read and comment on...we are off to our son's guitar lessons but I will be back soon to catch up! Happy Thursday! Denise :-)

Shalay said...

That looks really... odd. But interesting. I'd like to try it just to see it for myself.

Jessi said...

I would be so afraid to eat it since it looks so delicate!

Rose said...

That is awesome! Wow!!

Meredith said...

This would be fun to try! I don't think I own a spring form pan though!

Brittany Ann said...

This would give me another dish to make in my springform pan (which I registered for and have never used, I'll admit:)

Chelsea Gwynne said...

Hi! I'm so glad you tried it! I absolutely agree on the taste. I was a wee bit disappointed. During the part of standing up the noodles, I had to say the same mantra out loud that I do when i try on jeans or bathing suits - "remain calm, remain calm" its hard to get those little suckers to stand up!
Also - I dont think I smushed the meat far enough down in the tubes.

I'm so glad you tried. As we were making it, we toasted to Noble Pig. It's so fun to think that we're all helping eachother eat some dinner! :)

p.s. Mine was made in a sweatshirt too.

♥Mrs. V said...

looks great!